Berger 230 and 300 OTM Hybrid terminal results

The bullet slump issue was only on Gen 1's and only when pushed very hard. I never seen it under 2900 fps. That condition was usually related to fast accelerating ball powders and twist rates faster than 1 in 10. Those days are long past. I have been pushing the OTM tactical target hybrid to 3200 and a little beyond for some time now. These are real velocities over an Oehler 35 and also a Magneto Speed at 4100' ASL. I have shot the OTM's at all distances out to 2971 yards where they held 1 moa while sub-sonic. I have repeatedly shot 2 and 3 shot groups into 1/2 moa at just over a mile into steel and paper targets. Took 5 bulls with that combo last year. Although one under 300 yards may not have exited we had a wound channel large enough to feed a 1" wide steel tape through and went 26" diagonally through the far shoulder. Tracking a bull with these kind of wounds are not an issue as we never lost sight of them. None left the area they were standing. Ironically enough one did make it barely outside 100 yards after shot. He bailed off the back of a steep ridge as the herd bolted after the impact. I was spotting for my wife and watched the hide ripple in the sweet spot of the crease. The sound of the impact coming back to me was easily heard even with ear plugs. The shot was 765 yards. Muzzle velocity average is 3198 fps. Here are pics of what we found including entrance and exit hole. I think he was dead while running a short distance. Have a look for yourself and see if this would suit your needs.

The bull ran head on down this steep hill hitting the tree to the right and bouncing off. We glued his skull back together after boiling it.

034_zps50184364.jpg

Entrance location and entrance was .338 dia.
035_zps4ed4a47a.jpg

Exit location when I rolled him over
043_zpsb5a2840d.jpg

Close up of exit showing 1 1/2" exit on far side with chunks of lungs sucked out .
041_zpsd082e027.jpg

Jeff.....I'd say that was acceptable performance:D.......Rich

Jeff,

I am looking at switching from the sierra sbt 200g to the 230 otm for my sendero2 300rum. Do you have the load data you guys use that you could send me for this hybrid? Have been struggling with my gun a little. Probably have 200 shots and 20 different loads and 4 different bullets through it and nothing I love yet. It's mostly stock, as a glass bedded lug, timney and a break. Vortex Viper HSLR 6.5-24. I have been sticking at the .025 off but maybe I need to let the bullets jump more? Any help would be awesome, since it sounds like you guys have this caliber dialed. Been pretty consistently at 1.5 moa. Its been a little annoying.
Thanks
Matt from Helena
[email protected]

I will try again but it seems the longer i make them the better they group
Berger web site has interesting info on seating depth. For hunting load 6 rounds each 0.010, 0.050, 0.090, and 0.130 off lands and shoot in 3 shot groups. In my 300 win mag, I found the best group at 0.090 off lands for the 230 OTM bullet. I got basically a two hole group ovelapping from the three shots. Was shooting RWS brass, WLRM primers and 68 grains of N165. MV around 2550 from 24 inch barrel. I will now do powder charge ladder at that 0.090 jump distance to see if I can get good group at higher velocity.

No real long range stuff from us yet, but I wanted to share what we have taken so far.

Ny son has taken 2 antelope, one at 738 yards and one at 595 yards. He is shooting the 230 gr Berger OTM Hybrids from his 300 win mag with a MV of 2772 fps. Wind drift is the best we have seen in a 300 win. Both goats had small hard to find entrances with 2" plus exits. We are vey pleased with the results. I must give an "At a boy" to my son "Young_Gun" he did an awesome job doping his rifle and placing the bullets well.

DSC03173Small.jpg

DSC03180Small.jpg

I took this goat at 550 or so, dont remember the exact distance now. It was shot with my .338 Lapua Mag and the 300 Berger OTM Hybrids with a MV of 2800 fps. I have seen enough that I will now take them to larger game.

Jeff. gun)---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DSC03185Small.jpg

DSC03187Small.jpg

DSC03188Small.jpg

real nice thread. and nice shooting. have you tried the 230match target as a hunting bulet as vell?

real nice thread. and nice shooting. have you tried the 230match target as a hunting bulet as vell?

Yes, I prefer them over the OTM in higher impact velocity applications. We don't have as much terminal sample data as the otm, but they worked just fine on the elk we have killed with them.

Jeff

Yes, I prefer them over the OTM in higher impact velocity applications. We don't have as much terminal sample data as the otm, but they worked just fine on the elk we have killed with them.

Jeff
thank you. i am gathering bullets for my 300 norma and was wondering if i should go for the OTM or the match target.

If you plan to go way way out there, may as well grab that extra BC for help in the placement

Jeff

well, im planning to use this rifle as a hunting rifle out to 1000m (1100yards) +-.
so im actually more interested in how the bullets behave in the animal. ?