Berger 230 and 300 OTM Hybrid terminal results

We took two elk today with the Berger 300gr Hybrid OTM from my .338 Lapua mag. Bullet performance was pretty much identical with 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" exits.

First was at 825 Yards and a rib cage shot. Impact velocity was 1966 fps. Exit was about 1 1/4"

Resampled_2011-11-20_11-02-48_15Small.jpg

Second one was a bedded cow at 816 yards. Impact velocit was 1975 fps. Cow was slightly facing away. Entrance was in the crease behind the near shoulder. Exit was far shoulder. I was kinda surprised that the exit was only 1 1/2" or so. But this exit is deceiving. Note the bone fragments on he hair around the hole. Inside was total destruction and the exit shoulder was a loss.

Elk died quick and clean. I am pleased.

DSC03258Small.jpg

Last edited:
we took two elk today with the berger 300gr hybrid otm from my .338 lapua mag. Bullet performance was pretty much identical with 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" exits.

First was at 825 yards and a rib cage shot. Exit was about 1 1/4"

resampled_2011-11-20_11-02-48_15small.jpg

second one was a bedded cow at 816 yards. Cow was slightly facing away. Entrance was in the crease behind the near shoulder. Exit was far shoulder. I was kinda surprised that the exit was only 1 1/2" or so. But this exit is deceiving. Note the bone fragments on he hair around the hole. Inside was total destruction and the exit shoulder was a loss.

Elk died quick and clean. I am pleased.

dsc03258small.jpg

good work jeff, and it looks like good performance as well. Pretty impressive wounds. Any pics of internals?.......rich

good work jeff, and it looks like good performance as well. Pretty impressive wounds. Any pics of internals?.......rich

Sorry Rich, I was kinda in a hurry and yanked the hide of of em and went out to look for a good Muley before dark. But I did take this field pic of the inside of that exit shoulder hit. Doesn't show much other than a lot of damage. I feel only about 1/2 of the bullet made it out. But thats pretty good at 816 yards. And again it is just a guess. But I was spotting for my wife and seen the snow blast up behind the bedded cow.

Jeff

DSC03259Small.jpg

sorry rich, i was kinda in a hurry and yanked the hide of of em and went out to look for a good muley before dark. But i did take this field pic of the inside of that exit shoulder hit. Doesn't show much other than a lot of damage. I feel only about 1/2 of the bullet made it out. But thats pretty good at 816 yards. And again it is just a guess. But i was spotting for my wife and seen the snow blast up behind the bedded cow.

Jeff

dsc03259small.jpg

well, there is no doubt he had a bad "fur" day:d.......rich

Took 2 more elk yesterday. A small bull and a cow. My son "Young-Gun" was doing the shooting with his 28" barreled 300 win sending 230 Berger OTM Hybrids. Results below.

First was the bull. Shot was a 511 yards with a strong wind. Bullet found its mark exactly as planned. Caught a rib on entrance and major damage to vitals. large exit on far side. Bullet broke up and only part exited. The rest of the bullet was sent into lungs and about all other organs including taking the mian large artery off the heart. Bull was bedded on a side hill and never stood up.

DSC03269Small.jpg

Second was a standing cow taken by Young-Gun at 400 yards. Great placement and complete pass through. Cow staggered a short distance and dropped. Here are the entrance and exit.

Entrance:
DSC03272Small.jpg

Exit.

DSC03275Small.jpg

Jeff

What kind of results were you getting with the 230 bergers. I mean like velocity's and such.

Do you prefer the 210's or 230's so far

Matt, here are the results we have so far. The 230's are working well. Seem to be in typical Berger performance and we are pleased. The muzzle velocity on our accuracy load for this rifle is 2775 fps. I have taken many many animals with the 210's and have not seen enough yet from the 230's to say whether we are seeing mch difference yet. But with more use if the added BC of the 230's seems to help, I will make the change like my son did. He also picked up about 125 lbs of energy at 1000 with the 230's. At that distance the 230 and the 210 were close to the same in velocity even when the 210 started out about 150 fps faster.

Jeff

Two Muley bucks down today.

Young-Gun took his at 893 yards with his 300 win mag sending a 230 Berger OTM.

DSC03282Medium.jpg

And I took mine at 767 yards with my .338 Lapua sending 300 Berger OTM's

DSC03286Medium.jpg

We feel performance is very good with these bullets. Neither deer made it more than 50 yards. We will continue to hunt with Berger OTM Hybrids, but it will have to be next season...... We are tagged out.

Jeff

Great shooting and excellent report (minus the dig about your son getting rusty while in Missouri!!!). I've been hesitant to use the Gen 2's on game but it sounds like they're GTG. Thanks for all the pics - good stuff!

Wow...you guys have really been downing some critters...and some nice ones! Congrats! Thanks for the stories and pics. Good shooting by the whole family.

Thanks for all the kind responces, it was a good season, except I was out shot on distanceby both my wife and son. :D Well unless you count my recent yote at 1126...:)

Jeff

Thanks for all the kind responces, it was a good season, except I was out shot on distanceby both my wife and son. :D Well unless you count my recent yote at 1126...:)

Jeff

I'll bet you pinned that yote right to the ground at that distance.