Berger 195's failing?

Same with a single 7mm "pin hole" in a deer...Except it fell over and died before it even hit the ground, and never moved. :cool:
How do you define vital organ? How long the range? Your Berger bullets also don't expand?

Last edited:
This .338 250 Berger expanded, I would say that was a vital organ lol :D sorry I coulnt resist. I didnt shoot that deer , one of my friends did with a rum I built. I dont like to head shoot. to messy to clean

Attachments

• head.JPEG
    head.JPEG
    119.5 KB · Views: 119
I have only had one not expand at about 200 yards, it penciled in and out, but hit both the lungs, and heart, and the deer dropped dead in its tracks.
I would venture to say that a pure heart lung shot resulting in bang flop was the result of a bullet that deformed but did not exit with a soccer ball sized hole. Were the heart/lungs with minor damage? I always figure the bang flop with a pure pump house shot is a fluke of increasing blood pressure at just the right time when the animals blood pressure is at it's peak point of the heart beat resulting in stroking the animal out. It needs that big increase in pressure from the bullet expansion.

Steve

I would venture to say that a pure heart lung shot resulting in bang flop was the result of a bullet that deformed but did not exit with a soccer ball sized hole. Were the heart/lungs with minor damage? I always figure the bang flop with a pure pump house shot is a fluke of increasing blood pressure at just the right time when the animals blood pressure is at it's peak point of the heart beat resulting in stroking the animal out. It needs that big increase in pressure from the bullet expansion.

Steve
No, it penciled it's way through... It could have been more of a physiological reason to it (like you described), but from my experiences, higher velocity cartridges (3,000+ FPS MV) have given me more bang-flops than lower velocity cartridges. So, my best guess for this instance, is that velocity shock to the CNS (of hitting heart & both lungs) is what caused the bang-flop for this deer, as she was calmly grazing with no stress, and none of the herd was spooked or aware of my presence (lots of years of stealth practice). There was a pencil in & out, and literally 1 drop of blood on the ground. When it was cut open, it was not catastrophic internal damage, like I'm used to with Bergers and with most other high-velocity impacts. It was like an arrow with a broadhead had been through the internals. Strange to say the least.

Steve

I agree with you . this deer ran about 100 yards .

Attachments

• PC140533.JPG
    PC140533.JPG
    347 KB · Views: 124
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.