7lrm 195 berger

The 7 LRM is the most disappointing thing I've built, R33 was the only powder that made it even look good, I built two with turned necks and throated out and 2980 with a 180 gr bullet was all it would do and be able to reload the cases a few times. Much happier with a 28 Nosler.

I thought about going to the 195 Bergers but then figured why change what is not broken. My 7LRM shoots lights out with 180g Berger hybrids and everything it has shot has gone bang/flop. Has accounted for a dozen elk and several mule deer between me and my buddies 7 LRM who shoots the same load, 72.0g of H1000. Mine is a Gunwerks rifle and his is a Spoon Custom. Between us we have shot over 40 animals all told with Bergers (obviously some in other calibers) and the only one to ever pencil hole was a cow elk at 1134 yards out of a 7 LRM. Impact velocity was probably around 1800 fps and that is the lower limit for a Berger so I did not expect that one to do much. Oddly enough, that bullet passed all the way through the elk and she died within 75 yards.

Here is the result on a bull elk off side shoulder. The bullet did not exit but it is not designed to exit, just wreak total heck when it hits. If you want full penetration, you need to switch from Bergers. If you want it to fall dead without moving, shoot Bergers.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 143
I'm shooting a lrm with 72.4 gn h-1000 with a 26" tube with 3095 fps. No signs of pressure. Now my old tube 3000 was as far as it would rock without pressure signs and that was 71.5 gn h-1000.
Until I turned necks I had erratic pressure signs all over with all 3 batchs of brass although the last batch seems to be good.
The learning curve has been hard on brass LOL
I like the LRM but I would build a 28 nosler if I had it to do over if it would fit in the mag.
Duane

I shoot the Berger 180 hybrid and have shot 12 deer not one has gone more then 15 yds most haven't taken another step. Now one did run away hit but I never recovered the deer so I don't know if it was a poor shot or bad bullet performance.
Duane

I know it's is an old thread but I loaded some 195's up for my 7 LRM (not a Gunwerks build but had my smith build one that matches the LR100) I went and finalized my load today. 70 grains of H1000 produced a 3/8" - 4 shot group at 200's. Muzzle velocity is 2892. No pressure signs yet. I'm not going any higher. My velocity spread is 1. Lol.
Low shot was 2891 and high was 2892

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.