7lrm 195 berger

Russell123523

i started working on loads in july with h1000 and retumbo spent alot of time and trips to the range. I thought i had i was close a couple of times to be disappointed the next trip out. Anything that pushed over 2900 had ejector marks on brass a couple of gun smiths told me the hornady brass was junk. Using h1000 with a load over 69.3 caused problems with velocitys of right around 2900 fps. So i put it up until after hunting season was over i was considering rechambering to another caliber. I thought i would try one more time a month ago so i went down to the store and bought some rl33. With no load data available i loaded 72 72.5 73 73.5 74 75 75.5 76 grains and shot it though my magnetospeed and the 72 72.5 73 where 2864 2880 2884 as i moved up 75 was the first one over 2900 so i tried 72.7 that seemed to be the load 2880 avg. I have shot multiple 1/2 and 3/4 no flyer. I have had one trip out to the 1000 yard plate which produced a 8" 10 shot group so i guess i will keep it. It was a long and frustrating process. During this process i was pulling my hair out and ordered a copper 28 nosler so i guess that will be my new project.

i started working on loads in july with h1000 and retumbo spent alot of time and trips to the range. I thought i had i was close a couple of times to be disappointed the next trip out. Anything that pushed over 2900 had ejector marks on brass a couple of gun smiths told me the hornady brass was junk. Using h1000 with a load over 69.3 caused problems with velocitys of right around 2900 fps. So i put it up until after hunting season was over i was considering rechambering to another caliber. I thought i would try one more time a month ago so i went down to the store and bought some rl33. With no load data available i loaded 72 72.5 73 73.5 74 75 75.5 76 grains and shot it though my magnetospeed and the 72 72.5 73 where 2864 2880 2884 as i moved up 75 was the first one over 2900 so i tried 72.7 that seemed to be the load 2880 avg. I have shot multiple 1/2 and 3/4 no flyer. I have had one trip out to the 1000 yard plate which produced a 8" 10 shot group so i guess i will keep it. It was a long and frustrating process. During this process i was pulling my hair out and ordered a copper 28 nosler so i guess that will be my new project.
RL33 seems to be turning into THE POWDER for heavy pills in larger cases. Load development seems to be on par with H50BMG, scoop the shell full and compress a bullet to a long COAL and ROLL!
Can't wait to actually find some local.

Frustration and 7LRM go hand and hand. Mine shoots 180 berger hybrid target at quarter minute. Won't shoot anything else. The eldx that gunwerks told me they did load development for my gun with, shoots 2 inch groups at 100 yards, with flyers. I was missing 12 inch square target at 200 yards. Contacted them with problem. Told me it might be my loading. That's when the they me the Berger load. I ordered loaded ammo with gun but didn't get. Asked why. They weren't loading eldx yet for sale? Really, 9K for gun and scope and someone cant' take the time to load 3 boxes of ammo for the customer. Now I know why? Can't hit a garbage can with them. They did buy back the 8 boxes of eldx I bought in advance. Also gave me brass as comp. for the bad load development. I'm trying 175 ABLR right now. Hopefully I can get them to work. I also met a guy at the range recently. He has been fighting his 7LRM for 3 years. He just gave up and rebarreled for 7RM. FRUSTRATION!!!!!!!! PS. I could go on but I'm tired of typing!

I would try rl33 i would start around 73.5 and move up from there. I also tried different bullets 180 vld and 180 hybrids nothing would shoot untill I tried rl33 gunwerks told me about the eld-x loads but they could not get them to shoot accurate at velocity close to 3000 also they no longer say to load 72 grains of h1000 with the 180 hybrid. My gun is a 1/8 twist barrel rl33 changed that gun. I think this caliber with hornady brass can not hold up to very hot loads I feel good I'm getting 2880 out of the 195's. when I tried 180 hybirds I was getting ejector marks at 71.5 grains h1000 at 3030 fps. I don't think I would every build a caliber again with such little load info and pressure data. When it comes to load development its just using a chrono and staring what you think is low and move up untill you see pressure

Just this week I tried the eldx again with 6 different powders, RL33 included. They all shot terrible. Tried RL33 with 175 ABLR. Shot sub half moa at 100. Really spread out at 2 and 3 hundred. 71.0 H1000 is the sweet spot in my gun. That's the load for the Berger 180 Hybrid. I shot a sub half moa group with that and 175 ABLR yesterday. I have to test it at distance now. My fingers are crossed. If I were just shooting steel, I would just stay with Bergers. Accuracy not a issue. I shot a 4 inch group at 1460 yards with them. Berger does not recommend them for hunting and I agree. I shot a buck in the lungs at 360 yards in 8 inches of fresh snow. He ran off like he wasn't hit. I thought I missed. I lost sight of him after 100 yards. I found him laying dead where I last saw him. Rolled him over and no blood in the snow. Walked his trail back to where I shot him. Not one speck of blood anywhere. Upon quartering found that the bullet penciled in and pencil out. Not what I want in a hunting bullet.

Berger has the new 175 hunter elite coming out maybe there might be hope for that bullet I'm going to try it in a 7 rm

I have 2 boxes sitting on my loading bench. Bought in November from Midway. I never cracked them open. Was hoping I could get away from Berger completely. They are a last resort. I have always been a Nolser Guy. I would really like to get ABLR to work. Of the half dozen animals I killed with Bergers, including vld hunting, just not impressed. I'm afraid I might be tied to them with this gun. Somewhere down the road it may become a 28 Nosler.

It is tough to deal with a chambering that only has one source for brass. I hear the new Nosler 26, 28, and 30 are beginning to get complaints on some lots being quite a bit heavier than others.

Not sure if any LRM owners remember the issue with the 7 LRM a while back. For any owner of a 7 LRM it is worth KNOWING the dimensions of your ammo's case necks.

A supplied lot of Hornady brass made for Gunwerks, by Hornady, had thicker necks and wasn't discovered till many owners had issues.

Gunwerks acknowledged this issue:

skipdavidson
SPONSOR Join Date: Aug 2006

Re: load data for 7mm LRM

Breaking news. We've tracked down the problem some are having with 7LRM. The pressure problems are stemming from a neck dimension from a loaded round that is too big for the chamber. The neck in a Gunwerks 7LRM chamber will be .322 at the shoulder junction and .321 at the mouth. Some brass from the current lot is measuring .319-.322. Way to big! The spec is .316", also, the last bunch of Bergers have been measuring at .2845! Our freebore is .2845", again, too tight. The solution is to neck turn your brass to obtain a loaded neck diameter no greater that .316" and shoot some of the new 180 Hybrids that are measuring 0.284.

We've traced the root cause back to one of two punch dies that are drawing the necks to dimension. That means that half of our brass production was batched out of spec. We will have new brass to spec in the October ball park. Please call me directly if you have any questions. 307.762.1406

Everyone has different experiences I have had good luck with Bergers so far. I live in Wyoming and we tend to get Long shoots and some close. So far they have done alright nothing has ran off yet not to say that may happen. I shot 200 hybrid targets last year in a 30-338 win mag took an elk at 1010 after the first shoot took him a few seconds to go down we also shoot an elk at 680 and a deer at 450 with no issues it is a little weird on the elk it was hard to find the entry and exit hole I'm going to try and stay with hunting bullets as well

It is tough to deal with a chambering that only has one source for brass. I hear the new Nosler 26, 28, and 30 are beginning to get complaints on some lots being quite a bit heavier than others.

Not sure if any LRM owners remember the issue with the 7 LRM a while back. For any owner of a 7 LRM it is worth KNOWING the dimensions of your ammo's case necks.

A supplied lot of Hornady brass made for Gunwerks, by Hornady, had thicker necks and wasn't discovered till many owners had issues.

Gunwerks acknowledged this issue:

skipdavidson
SPONSOR Join Date: Aug 2006

Re: load data for 7mm LRM

Breaking news. We've tracked down the problem some are having with 7LRM. The pressure problems are stemming from a neck dimension from a loaded round that is too big for the chamber. The neck in a Gunwerks 7LRM chamber will be .322 at the shoulder junction and .321 at the mouth. Some brass from the current lot is measuring .319-.322. Way to big! The spec is .316", also, the last bunch of Bergers have been measuring at .2845! Our freebore is .2845", again, too tight. The solution is to neck turn your brass to obtain a loaded neck diameter no greater that .316" and shoot some of the new 180 Hybrids that are measuring 0.284.

We've traced the root cause back to one of two punch dies that are drawing the necks to dimension. That means that half of our brass production was batched out of spec. We will have new brass to spec in the October ball park. Please call me directly if you have any questions. 307.762.1406
Nosler brass will always have large lot swings as it is weight sorted. Yeah each box weighs within 1 gr......but how do you do that? By weight sorting batches. If you run Nosler buy enough at one time from the same lot to kill the barrel OR redevelop loads every time.

Hi guys. I was reading through your thread with interest. If 2900 is all you can get out of that case, there is definitely something going on, and it is likely the brass. I don't know what your capacity is but I know it is considerably more than the 7SS and I have guys shooting the 195's at over 2900 no problem! You can push them to 3000' with the SS case and it only holds 72 grs. of water.

Not sure all I know is I tried 180 hybirds at 72 grains 3030 fps ejector marks anything over 2900 fps with 195s the same h1000 retumbo rl33. Remington 700 shillen 1/8 twist reamer from 4d products Wyatt extended box throated coal I shoot is 3.62 with 195s 50 off lands. From what I have read the 195s should shoot 120 to 150 fps slower than the 180s there is no way that gun could push a 180 3100. I am happy it shoots with rl33 I was really close to scrapping the gun. All my last times at the range it has been around 30 degrees I'm not sure how rl33 act in 60 degree weather. I did read the post about brass a couple of months ago and did check my brass.

I shot 72.0 of H1000 yesterday and just squeezed out 3003 fps average with 175ABLR. However I did notice a stiff bolt lift. I have a 25 inch barrel. My friend has a 7LRM with a 26 inch barrel. He gets 3000 FPS with 180 Hybrid at 71.1 grains. 72.0 runs hot in his gun also.

I have a 28 inch barrel so I think 3030 out of the 180 is close but 72 was to hot. The 2880 I'm getting out of the 195 is causing me no problems and accurate there is just no way I can push it any harder

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.