195 Berger

lefty15

Good evening everyone I hope it has been a Sunday funday for you!! I am going to build my first custom rifle very shortly and I am considering a 28 nosler shooting 195 Bergers. I have been doing some reading and I see some people have been having issues with the 195 bergers blowing up at higher velocities. To the guys that have been shooting these bullets have you been having any issues

At the .28 Nosler/7mm STW velocities, I don't think you'll be having those issues. I think I remember reading those were only having problems with the super-mag velocities, like over 3,200 FPS MV. With the .28 Nosler, you should be in the 3,000-3,100 FPS MV range.

Good evening everyone I hope it has been a Sunday funday for you!! I am going to build my first custom rifle very shortly and I am considering a 28 nosler shooting 195 Bergers. I have been doing some reading and I see some people have been having issues with the 195 bergers blowing up at higher velocities. To the guys that have been shooting these bullets have you been having any issues

I have a 28 Nosler custom made by Alliance Custom Armory, with a 26" Brux barrel 1:8 twist. The load I have found that is shooting a .50 MOA group is using a CCI 250 LRM primer, 84.3 gr. of RL33 with a .020 bullet jump, the average velocity in this load is 3093fps at my altitude of 440'. I have another load for the 180gr VLD Berger is using a CCI 250 LRM primer with 80.7 gr. of Retumbo with a .020 bullet jump, the average velocity with this load runs 3117fps and very accurate. I have another one I am testing using RL33 with the 180 that looks like 85.7 gr will be the most accurate, I have not tested this load with a Chrono yet.

I ran them out of a 28 nosler at 3130 fps with no issues. Killed a bull with the 195 last year, did the job very well.

I have a 28 Nosler custom made by Alliance Custom Armory, with a 26" Brux barrel 1:8 twist. The load I have found that is shooting a .50 MOA group is using a CCI 250 LRM primer, 84.3 gr. of RL33 with a .020 bullet jump, the average velocity in this load is 3093fps at my altitude of 440'. I have another load for the 180gr VLD Berger is using a CCI 250 LRM primer with 80.7 gr. of Retumbo with a .020 bullet jump, the average velocity with this load runs 3117fps and very accurate. I have another one I am testing using RL33 with the 180 that looks like 85.7 gr will be the most accurate, I have not tested this load with a Chrono yet.

whats your COAL?

Rev, my COAL measurements with the Hornady OAL guage are listed below for the two Berger bullets. In my rifle these are .020 from lands.

195 gr Berger EOL = 2.845"
180 gr Berger HVLD = 2.812"

Rev, my COAL measurements with the Hornady OAL guage are listed below for the two Berger bullets. In my rifle these are .020 from lands.

195 gr Berger EOL = 2.845"
180 gr Berger HVLD = 2.812"
im measuring with calipers. not sure where the hornady gauge is measuring to

Without the Hornady OAL guage, below are measurements from tip of bullet to base of cartridge.

195 gr. Berger EOL = 3.585
180 gr. Berger HVLD = 3.514

great thanks. im jammed at 3.635 OAL. so im assuming i have enough throat to get me over 3000 with the 195s. i havent made a load for this rifle yet.

im at 27.5 barrel length on this build.

would you have a starting load you could suggest for thew 195s ?

all this information is great, thank you again

im at 27.5 barrel length on this build.

would you have a starting load you could suggest for thew 195s ?

all this information is great, thank you again

I would need to know what powder are you planning to use? All of my data for the 28 Nosler I received from Berger, I just sent them an email and they provided all of the starting load and Max load for each 7mm bullet (168, 180 and 195) for all powders they tested in the 28 Nosler.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.