Berger 156 EOL 6.5 fail?

When it comes to hunting I prefer bonded bullets mostly by Federal or Norma. I have been having impressive results with the Terminal Ascent and the BondStrike bullets. Long range means something different here in SC though, we do not have the distance you fellas do out west to shoot so 500Yards is long range to me :)

Wondering if the cartridges/tips in the magazine are hitting the interior during recoil. It doesn't take much to deform the tips of the Berger's. I always check my magazine rounds after shooting.
I have seen this in many different bullets in the magazine after firing the first round being deformed. That maybe where some of the problem is coming from. I hadn't done any 2nd - 5 shots in single loads to determine if there was a problem, or grouping different. Instead of loading the magazine up and shoot. I do feel it might cause a problem in accuracies, but never really checked it. It's been a long time checking groups other than just shooting for zero checking. It's my fault I probable should have done a one shot test without having others in the magazine. Another time at the range to see.
One of the other reason is: I want to see how the grouping is with the barrel being warmed up and 2nd - 5 rounds groups. so I go from a cold bore to a warm barrel or hot barrel. The groups have to stay together to meet my aproval and use. Otherwise I look for a different combination of componments to use to shoot with.
I know that BT noslers it would dent the tips in the round in the magazine as each time the rifle was fired.
A little insight: Once I develop a load for my rifle and happy with it grouping, how it performs in the field, that's what I stay with in that rifle. It saves on barrels, componments, and I know it will do the job.

Is this the standard size across the board for Berger tips, regardless of caliber?

I know it's on this forum, but I can't find the specific thread regarding opening the tips. I have several thousand Berger bullets, EOL, VLD-H and Elite Hunter and I really don't want to experience a failure, especially if a kiddo is going to be using my rifle.

Thanks
Is this the standard size across the board for Berger tips, regardless of caliber?

I know it's on this forum, but I can't find the specific thread regarding opening the tips. I have several thousand Berger bullets, EOL, VLD-H and Elite Hunter and I really don't want to experience a failure, especially if a kiddo is going to be using my rifle.

Thanks
You hadn't had any problem with those bullets? Interesting, because it seem like everybody else is having problem. i am not saying one way or the other. I haven't used them, so I don't know.

The EOLs in particular have a pretty small cavity and a long ogive. This adds strength to the ogive and it needs a good amount of resistance upon impact as well as needs to hit squarely to work best. Ensuring the tip is clean, square, and not compromised is important too.

Here's some examples to compare regarding their construction:

eZy Watermark_06-03-2023_06-30-02PM.jpeg
eZy Watermark_06-03-2023_06-26-01PM.jpeg
eZy Watermark_23-11-2023_10-03-09-7150AM.jpeg

You hadn't had any problem with those bullets? Interesting, because it seem like everybody else is having problem. i am not saying one way or the other. I haven't used them, so I don't know.

I have yet to have a failure, the water gap is 450-475ish yds and I have killed pigs with the 280 Ackley, 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 PRC using VLD-H, Elite Hunters in all 3 and 156gr EOLs out of both the Creedmoor and PRC.

But I have alcohol rinsed and verified the tips were uniform and open, I just haven't "opened" them all with a pin vise and drill bit, just the few that were blocked.

I don't remember the size, but I know it wasn't the .038" mentioned earlier in this thread, IIRC, it was a #67 because that was the size of the stick pin that slipped in the various unmodified bullets, but refused to go in or go very far at all.

With all due respect to people and products, Hammer Bullets in general and that particular Berger are quite different in purpose and design.
At extended range would you shoot a much lower BC?
Im attempting to minimize or eliminate variables.

With all due respect to people and products, Hammer Bullets in general and that particular Berger are quite different in purpose and design.
At extended range would you shoot a much lower BC?
Im attempting to minimize or eliminate variables.

No sir! But, I do have issues with Berger held in such high esteem, essentially the "Holy Grail" of bullets…..while many of their users feeling the need to modify the bullet to increase it's reliability!

There are other high bc bullets available that apparently will reliably expand at extended ranges….without the user feeling the need to modify or clear the tip for reliability! It's a form of hypocrisy to consider them as the "High Priest" of bullets…..and then perform modifications or verify proper manufacture to have confidence with them!

It just seems ludicrous to me! memtb

No sir! But, I do have issues with Berger held in such high esteem, essentially the "Holy Grail" of bullets…..while many of their users feeling the need to modify the bullet to increase it's reliability!

There are other high bc bullets available that apparently will reliably expand at extended ranges….without the user feeling the need to modify or clear the tip for reliability! It's a form of hypocrisy to consider them on the "High Priest" of bullets…..and then perform modifications or verify proper manufacture to have confidence with them!

It just seems ludicrous to me! memtb
Wait, I thought Hammers were the Holy Grail of bullets… 🤔. Turns out they have to have bandaids too though.

And regarding Bergers, some do those mods, yet MANY do no modding at all and have never had a problem. In my experience the older batches had more issues. They've evolved them pretty well. I'm just saying it's not fair to act like they all need that treatment.

I'd sure hope a machined bullet vs a swaged bullet wouldn't need extra work. That said, I do feel like they could add one extra step to the manufacturing process of the Bergers and just ad a quick meplat trim. That would square them off and make them all consistent and ensure they're open properly. They must feel it's not cost effective though.

My only desire is to make sure the existing bullet cavity is clear of pocket trash, Copenhagen grains etc.
I don't know what is best for the operation.
I do not intend to modify the design
I get it. It's essentially an insurance policy, not that it's required, and you're only doing just enough to ensure they're clear and not actually changing anything.