bedding a remington 700

tacsniper0888

what is the proper procedure for bedding a Remington 700 receiver? ive heard ten different ways to do it and am wanting to know the best and proper way as well as the best bedding material to use on a composite stock with aluminum bedding block. H-S Precision and Bell & Carlson. I've read to bed 2" in front of recoil lug and to completely free float up to the recoil lug so wondering best way. looking at using marine-tex or j-b weld to bed with and do I need to grind down the bedding block partially around the action screw holes and leave them original height? Also looking to bed my father's 700 in .243 with factory plastic "Tupperware" stock for him. He doesn't want to invest any money in a better stock. Thanks guys.

FWIW, i've not found a need to "skin" bed B&C or Accurate Innovations stocks that have the full alum. bedding blocks. I tried it on two different rifles, and saw no improvement, so stopped doing it.

What about H-S Precision stocks? And what about the cheap factory remington "Tupperware" stock? How do I bed it? It doesn't have pillars.

The way I have bedded "tupperware" stocks is to get a dremmell tool and scratch the crap out of the area the bedding material needs to stick to AND I also drill holes through the ribs at different angles so the material can bond to itself to lock in . Then clean it all up with alcohol, let it dry and do it!

There are many ways to bed a rifle. Like everyone else I have my own method that works for me.

This is the objective of a bedding job.

First, It positions the receiver and barrel in the stock so it doesn't move.

It guaranties 100% action fit.

If the proper material is used it also last through many years of recoil and climate changes.

It dampens some of the harmonics (Some bench rest shooters glue there actions in the stock
for this reason).

I bed all rifles because it can,t hurt and most times it helps because even with the bedding block
an action can move back and forth and also rotate in the stock allowing the action screws to contact the pillars.

I use bedding compound that was designed specifiably for bedding. Other materials may work OK but
the fact that they were not designed for that purpose leaves doubt as to how well and how long they
will perform.

As to the issue of floating or bedding the barrel= My opinion is to bed some of the barrel if it is a light
taper. (Bed only the straight part of the shank) I normally bed 1/2" to 1" just to help support the barrel
and reduce harmonics.

If it is a heavy taper then it is optional whether to full float or bed a small area of the barrel (This depends
on the strength of the action and the length of the barrel hanging on it.

So with these objectives I wan,t to end up with a bedding job that will last and perform for many years
with the same load/ ammo.

There are some good post and pictures on this subject if you do a search you may find them.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.