wyattreed2021

I have a Remington model 7 with the factory laminate thumb hole stock, I decided to free float the barrel to try and improve grouping and it got slightly better. Its chambered in 300 SAUM. I'm now looking into bedding it myself but can't see to find pillers that work, has anyone had any luck? Can I just glass bed it and forget the pillers? And recommendations?
Thank you

You don't need pillars, and if your doing it in your shed I'd recommend just using Devcon 10110 and Kiwi boot polish as the release agent, has worked well for me every time.
There are plenty of good videos on YouTube to explore on the topic.

10110-Devcon-Plastic-Steel-Putty.jpg
41fZwF1JLSL._AC_SY580_.jpg

pretty sure I made a reduxed OD 700 pillar when I did my 7

when you cut up that stock to bed make some dog bone/ I beam shaped cuts like crossbolts to hold that laminate together

model 7 is easy unless you get your screws stuck some, most of the rear screws are small and soft

There are several different epoxies that can be used for rifle bedding. Pillars for Rem 700 can be used , but you'll may need to shorten them. Aluminum cuts easily with a file!. As mentioned by PopN, make sure you use plenty of release agent on the screws AND the action. Brownells sells single rifle bedding kits as does Midway (Pro-Bed 2000 ain't bad for $15). DO NOT use the action screws to 'pull' the action down, into the bedding. You will be defeating yourself. Your goal is "stress free", and stress on the action can be induced with the guard screws. Myself, I use surgical tubing to secure the action while the bedding cures. Bed the bottom metal, too. If you decide to install pillars, drill out the stock carefully to avoid a disaster. I see Marine Tex is available in a 2oz kit on Amazon, as well as surgical tubing and aerosol mold release for epoxy. It is hard to go wrong with an aerosol release agent as it covers 100% (and it doesn't have to cost $30+ like Brownells wants for theirs'). You don't have to buy from a gun related company to get what you want, you may get better pricing elsewhere. Also, acetone is a solvent for most epoxies, You can use that for clean-up. Check to see if the stock finish is effected before using acetone there. (the Model 7 uses Rem SA mag box, so pillars for the 700 may work) A good trigger is a must have for accuracy, and remember, if your shooting a 'factory' barrel don't expect "custom" accuracy.

Last edited: