Glass bedding aluminun bedding block??

CarbonLead

I have been considering maybe adding some glass bedding in an HS precision stock with an aluminum bedding block in it. I noticed when I took the barrel off the recoil lug looked like it had moved and scratched the stock area under where it sets. So I milled off a couple 1000ths of an inch off the bottom of the lug. I was thinking of glass bedding the recoil lug and the tang area. I was just wondering if there was any particular reason why this would be a bad or good idea? Thanks in advance for the input!!!

It will definitely help to have a mirror image fit of the stock to the action. There is no down side to bedding if it is done properly so as to be stress free. You can use the search function as there have been many threads about it.

A bedding job would be a great idea. Tape off the bottom of the lug when you bed it for some clearance.

CarbonLead,

So I milled off a couple 1000ths of an inch off the bottom of the lug. I was thinking of glass bedding the recoil lug and the tang area.

Be sure to have enough clearance between the bottom of the lug and the bedding block in order to accommodate the bedding material and the tape. Failure to do so will result in a bad bedding job.

See the photograph supplied for proper coverage of a good bedding job.

Regards.

I did glass bed the lug on my 300 RUM, and did notice an improvement with both fit & accuracy. It was my first time attempting it & it went well, easy to follow instructions. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.