Bedding a 700 LA

WSM

Ok guys here is a "Novice" question regarding H-S precision stock. I noticed when looking where the bedding block and pillars make contact with the reciever there is a circular depression around the pillars. Can anyone tell me why these are there? I thought that you wanted the pillars flush with the rest of the aluminium block. It seems to me that if one were to tighten the action screws this depression could bend the action.

Ok guys here is a "Novice" question regarding H-S precision stock. I noticed when looking where the bedding block and pillars make contact with the reciever there is a circular depression around the pillars. Can anyone tell me why these are there? I thought that you wanted the pillars flush with the rest of the aluminium block. It seems to me that if one were to tighten the action screws this depression could bend the action.

You ar exactly right. The reason that they do that is in case it is not bedded it forces the action
down into the V Block. (When installing a barreled action this way the torque cannot be as high
as it can when the pillars are in contact with the action).

I simply use a washer to bring the pillar into contact and then Bed the action. That way, the pillar
and the bedding supports the action better and torque can be as high as 65 inch pounds.

J E CUSTOM

:)Thanks guys, really appreciate the reply. I wonder why H-S & B&C both sell their stocks like this?

:)Thanks guys, really appreciate the reply. I wonder why H-S & B&C both sell their stocks like this?

As I said earlier , If the action touched the pillars and not the stock it would not work at all
so they elected to build a "Drop in stock" and this is the way you would have to do it for it
to work at all.

Most people believe that bedding is not nessary with this type of V block installation, And with
"Proper" torque it is possible to have the rifle shoot well.

I like to bed all bedding block stocks because they have a good foundation to bed on If done
properly.

So in my opinion it is a compromise and it sells stocks.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.