Bear protection handguns?

No thanks. Not with anything but a big bore, heavy hitting wheel gun and I'd probably duct tape it to my hand 😂
Something lanyard capable would be a good option. Keeping connection in case of contact could help retrieve handgun and continue the fight on the ground.
Wheel guns also can be jammed into bears body without being taken out of battery.
All of it at that point is grasping "It's a good rifle, and kilt the bar that kilt me" Hatchet Jack-Jeremiah Johnson comes to mind.

Bears are scary fast, and even faster when their adrenaline switch gets flipped. Situational awareness is a must when in bear country. I do not however agree on the bear spray. I live butt deep in grizzly country, and yes, we do have bear spray that comes along on every trip. However, herein lies my issue with bear spray. If you've ever attempted to deploy bear spray in a charge you know EXACTLY where I'm going with this. My 629 will skin from my Bianchi cyclone 110 one heck of a lot faster than bear spray will come out of its pouch, and it has no safety to fumble with! That 44Mag is also oblivious to wind at spitting distance...bear spray, is not. If you're friend had no time to even touch his 29, then the bear was danger close without detection, which happens to more than one hunter. Nothing would have made a difference at that distance, especially spray. If we have an encounter and time permits, one of us goes for the spray. The other is on a bangstick immediately, regardless of use of spray or not. And they stay on it until the threat is long gone.
The key is to be aware, and predator wary when approaching danger areas. Defilade, or heavily vegetated areas etc. My family members never hunt alone. Whomever is hunting concentrates on the stalk and prey. Whomever is security concentrates on immediate surroundings 360°, nothing else. When game is on the ground one skins while the other pulls security with gun in hand. Wide open areas are a little different, but in dense areas constant security is a must. The ground bears can cover at a full run is phenomenal! The practice has served us well, with zero scars to prove it🤣🙌
Apparently you are about the only one that missed my explanation of the best way to apply bear spray....("Hey Lou, let's sneak up and grab the guy with the bang stick- them other two have that red-hot seasoning!")

Here's a northern MN guide. Now this is a story, how believable, how much is true vs embellishment, IDK, but this is the guide that was there on the track. Also doesn't make him look the greatest, so it may all be true.

He tells the story of a 700lb class black bear they were tracking, two guys with 45acp, he with a 10mm, one guy with a 44 mag.

He noted it took that bear standing up so he could shoot through the chest to finally stop it, 4 shots center mass from his 10mm, as the path to chest cavity was a much much easier one at that angle.

Notes they recovered 17 bullets from the fat. That several hit head, none penetrated, and that some hit and stopped/deflected off other bone, like shoulder. Didn't break down how many of each caliber didn't penetrate, but noted they hit this thing 36 times.

He did note he was using 230gr solids in his 10mm, if that is to be believed I believe the only one may be doubletaps 230gr hardcast, which would be about the best 10mm round outside custom molding your own. But it still took that bear standing and that easier bottom chest shot to get through and end this.

He does also note that the 44 mag did get through to the chest cavity, don't know how many times...also didn't note specifically if it ever failed to penetrate.

Anyways, here's the video if you wish to watch it.

And he still uses and promotes the 10mm for wounded black bear. Talk about a 10mm diehard fan. No "Live and Learn" going on there.

My revolver bullets would have been complete pass-throughs. Of course, I would'a missed out on all that target practice.

Perhaps they're a recoil sensitive bunch? Or they enjoy emptying their magazines in order to dispatch gravely sick bears. Must've sounded like the 4th of July.

And he still uses and promotes the 10mm for wounded black bear. Talk about a 10mm diehard fan. No "Live and Learn" going on there.

My revolver bullets would have been complete pass-throughs. Of course, I would'a missed out on all that target practice.

Perhaps they're a recoil sensitive bunch? Or they enjoy emptying their magazines in order to dispatch gravely sick bears. Must've sounded like the 4th of July.
Wasn't gonna say anything but couldn't help wondering how a 44 mag didn't penetrate but a 10mm did…
I know the 320gr hardcast WFNGC I push in my guns would've at least hit vitals, potentially exited too, if a 10mm was capable.
I continue to be mystified by people that claim a 10mm is basically a 41 Magnum (which is probably as close to 44 mag as possible). To me, that's similar to comparing an AR10 in .308 to a boltgun in 300 Win Mag and saying they're close. One has a noticeably higher round count on board while the other has significantly more horse power.

Did you watch the video , and notice that the Griz' was only on 3 legs , carrying an injured left front leg or paw ?

Must have been "Collateral Damage" from one of those 36 rounds fired at the Minnesota Black Bear !!!
Only 17 were found inside the bear .
I just could not resist throwing that comment into this discussion .

DMP25-06

Did you watch the video , and notice that the Griz' was only on 3 legs , carrying an injured left front leg or paw ?

Must have been "Collateral Damage" from one of those 36 rounds fired at the Minnesota Black Bear !!!
Only 17 were found inside the bear .
I just could not resist throwing that comment into this discussion .

DMP25-06
I saw his left front leg was messed up. I didn't know from what bet I saw how fast a 3 legged griz can run !

Everyone has their preference. I've guided in Alaska and a few western states as well as hunted them. Not near as much experience as some members here but I prefer my ruger SRH Alaskan in 454casull 2.25" Bbl. There may be that one special situation up close and personal where you get surprised in thick brush and only get one shot. Put one 10mm round in a 11' bear with less than ideal shot placement as your getting mauled despite how much you've practiced with your handgun and see how it goes. There is a reason guides carry .375s as a minimum rifle caliber. When you enter a true wilderness up North you are now in the natural selection pool right there with the wildlife. I wish death by bear on no man but if it happens to you because you were underguned in a overpopulated world full of great adivise from ppl that have been there seen that. I'll write it off to Darwinism.

A situation that would be good to have 15 rds. of 10mm or whatever would be if a pack of wolves come after you.(just say'in) Lighter recoil also to get back on target. I have a Ruger 454 and a S&W 460. They recoil pretty good. My Ruger has a 9 in barrel . I've never shot a 2 in. But I can imagine the recoil and muzzle blast. 😳