Bear protection handguns?

Anybody "dissing", the 10 MM's, Killing Power / Penetration,.. has NOT, TESTED them with, full Power, Hard Cast, Bullets with, a good sized, Meplat ! The 10 with these Bullets have about, the same Power as a 6" bbl'd,.. .41 Mag,.. NO slouch !
Good Black Bear "Medicine" ! In Alaska, I'd use a .45-70 short Bbl'd Rifle, with, Hard Cast, too !! for,. Griz !

Not trying to highjack thread into a dog thread. He's my first alert. My hearing is gone. He sees better also.
Hey an ounce of prevention. Dog's sense are far better than ours. Or making noise or staying out of dense brush if possible helps avoid bears. I've had some pucker factor moments in tall ferns and coming up on some fresh scat. They have the advantage lol.

Hey an ounce of prevention. Dog's sense are far better than ours. Or making noise or staying out of dense brush if possible helps avoid bears. I've had some pucker factor moments in tall ferns and coming up on some fresh scat. They have the advantage lol.
I know the pucker factor 😳
I posted some pics of my pup.

A handgun will never replace a rifle imo. But a handgun is more portable and convenient. I've watched guys walk off without their rifles in bear country only to comeback and ask to borrow my revolver.

Anybody "dissing", the 10 MM's, Killing Power / Penetration,.. has NOT, TESTED them with, full Power, Hard Cast, Bullets with, a good sized, Meplat ! The 10 with these Bullets have about, the same Power as a 6" bbl'd,.. .41 Mag,.. NO slouch !
That's not accurate. The 10mm Mag is very close to the 41, but the standard 10mm really isn't. The best way to compare them is to compare high performance factory ammo in both chamberings. I've had both the 10mm and the 41 Mag and done side by side testing. When you compare high performance ammunition in both guns, they really aren't that equal. Again, the 10mm is a great round in a semi-auto, but it doesn't equal the ballistic performance of a case with significantly more case capacity.

The 10 MM with, Full Power, Hard Cast Bullets, WILL Kill,.. Black Bears,.. ALL Day,. LONG !
Nothing on this Earth, will know the DIFFERENCE between, the 2 Cartridges,.. when,. Hit !
They're, Close enough for,.. the Girls, I go with !

Last edited:
The 10 MM with, Full Power, Hard Cast Bullets, WILL Kill,.. Black Bears,.. ALL Day,. LONG !
I agree 100%. It's the comparison to the 41 mag that's not accurate. Black bear get killed all the time with moderate chamberings and no issue. The average black bear isn't that tough when hit with the right bullet in the right spot.

Agree that, IF you used a Heavy Hard cast Bullet, in the .41 Mag, it WOULD Penetrate, a little deeper as, has, MORE, Powder !
Tested next to, a .41 with "most" factory JSP's,.. the 10mm W/ Hard Cast, out penetrated it.
Son and I did a lot of Testing back, when, we had, BOTH Pistols. We NEVER felt, "under- gunned" in Black Bear Country with, the 10's. There's a REASON WHY,.. 70% of Law Enforcement, carry Glock's ,.
They are, "Fast and Furious" in, a Gun Fight ! But everyone should Carry, WHAT they, Like and use,.. Proficiently !
I believe in taking that Extra, 1/2 second to make, my 1st Round,.. HIT !
THEN,.. Spray and Pray !

Last edited:
In order of preference for in-my-face bear defense:

Long arms:
1) 12ga Rem 870, Brenneke slugs or Tungsten buckshot.
2) A bolt action rifle, 30 cal minimum, better 338 cal on up, with bear worthy bullets (no Bergers allowed).

Side arms:
1) A double action revolver with sufficient bullets and power to exit the butt of any bear shot in the chest, frontal profile. I can slow that bear with broken shoulders, pelvis, or neck/spine.
2) Black Cat fire crackers...
3) A baseball bat (aluminum)
4) Screaming "BAD bear!!!"
4) 10mm Auto in a bolt action rifle 🤣

I need to get an orange collar for my next dog. I've had to take long and hard looks at some yote pups to make sure they weren't dogs playing. orange collar fixes that.
I used to use an orange harness but he out grew it. Had more orange to it. Need another.

What about a Desert Eagle in 44 Mag…? Revolver firepower with semi auto delivery system. Does this solve the issue of wanting to get lots of rounds down range fast, but slinging monster hunks of lead? Or are the overlooked because they're just too massive like the S&W X frames?
I have no dog in the "handgun for bear protection" fight. I pack a custom Marlin Trapper chambered for 30-30AI in hand while hiking in the mountains or hung off my saddle horn when traveling horseback.

What about a Desert Eagle in 44 Mag…? Revolver firepower with semi auto delivery system. Does this solve the issue of wanting to get lots of rounds down range fast, but slinging monster hunks of lead? Or are the overlooked because they're just too massive like the S&W X frames?
I have no dog in the "handgun for bear protection" fight. I pack a custom Marlin Trapper chambered for 30-30AI in hand while hiking in the mountains or hung off my saddle horn when traveling horseback.
I know I don't want to carry my 460 S&W. Too heavy and bulky.

Last edited: