Bear protection handguns?

Hello
Next season I plan to hunt deer in Arkansas. I am told that from time to time bears pass through the lease. With this in mind, what is a good, dependable handgun (that won't break the bank) to carry for protection? I hear that the Glock 20 (10 mm) is a solid choice. Any other guns to consider?
10 is loaded up similar to 357 performance standards, which should be plenty on a southern bear unless its an absolute pig. semi platform should also be way easier to manipulate vs a big wheelgun or single shot (just mentioning) if you happen to get surprised.

These threads always get turned sideways and maybe I'm looking at it wrong but this is how I feel about it, I compare it to concealed carry, The chances of any of us getting attacked by a Bear are probably 1 in a 1000, The chances of us walking in to McDonalds while some maniac is shooting up the place is probably also 1 in a thousand but either circumstance is the same to me, Be prepared and carry what best suits you, every pistol discussed here will do the job and I have already explained why I prefer 15 rounds over 6, this applies to both of my above references

These threads always get turned sideways and maybe I'm looking at it wrong but this is how I feel about it, I compare it to concealed carry, The chances of any of us getting attacked by a Bear are probably 1 in a 1000, The chances of us walking in to McDonalds while some maniac is shooting up the place is probably also 1 in a thousand but either circumstance is the same to me, Be prepared and carry what best suits you, every pistol discussed here will do the job and I have already explained why I prefer 15 rounds over 6, this applies to both of my above references
My edc is without hesitation my duty glock model 22, or personal 35 or 27, depending on how I'm dressed. I wouldn't feel undergunned taking them for bear protection either, imo to *stop* a bear charge, a cns hit is what is needed, and a proper .40 cal will go through a bear skull. Body hits won't be quite that of a 10mm, but really aren't terribly far behind, especially with a proper bullet. However, a reason I carry my .44 instead is because I can't legally hunt big game with my .40's.....if I see an elk or deer along the trail 50 yards off while hiking in with my rifle in my pack, which is far more likely than being attacked by a bear, I can't legally shoot it with a .40, and with the changes here in Wyoming in recent years maybe not even a 10mm, it has gone back and fourth, and I haven't kept up with the regs. However, my .44 is legal to use, so that is a contributing factor in my choice of a .44, it is more than just bear protection in my eyes, it is an elk killer if the opportunity arises. If bear protection was my only concern, I myself am a little faster with my glocks, I use them a lot more in training. I could go either way, and don't judge for either choice.

Is this thread dead enough? Think we can get it to 20 pages? Lol.

My edc is without hesitation my duty glock model 22, or personal 35 or 27, depending on how I'm dressed. I wouldn't feel undergunned taking them for bear protection either, imo to *stop* a bear charge, a cns hit is what is needed, and a proper .40 cal will go through a bear skull. Body hits won't be quite that of a 10mm, but really aren't terribly far behind, especially with a proper bullet. However, a reason I carry my .44 instead is because I can't legally hunt big game with my .40's.....if I see an elk or deer along the trail 50 yards off while hiking in with my rifle in my pack, which is far more likely than being attacked by a bear, I can't legally shoot it with a .40, and with the changes here in Wyoming in recent years maybe not even a 10mm, it has gone back and fourth, and I haven't kept up with the regs. However, my .44 is legal to use, so that is a contributing factor in my choice of a .44, it is more than just bear protection in my eyes, it is an elk killer if the opportunity arises. If bear protection was my only concern, I myself am a little faster with my glocks, I use them a lot more in training. I could go either way, and don't judge for either choice.

Right there with you, Cody. EDC is a 43

Dissertation time: This post is about the lack of penetration of a 44 Magnum soft lead factory bullet on the skull of a 130lb black bear.

I was with a friend in ~1981, who shot a black bear in the head with a 44 Magnum S&W revolver, from about 20yds. This was a nuisance bear that had been marauding a small house on the Kenai Peninsula, about 35 miles from where I live. The lady that owned the house had moved out until the bear could be dispatched. She called the complaint into Fish & Game multiple times. My friend worked at Fish & Game at this time. Bear season was open. The lady wanted the bear killed. My friend and I went out to kill it.
The homeowner said the bear showed up at 7:30 every morning. We showed up for a 6am hunt. Sure enough, the bear had worn a path down around the house, and claw marks were visible on the siding. One of the windows had been broken, and was covered with plywood. We could tell the bear had gained access into her house at least once. The bear was a regular visitor trying to get back into this house.
We climbed on top of a small shed about 20yd from the house. Like clockwork, the bear showed right on time. When it walked around the corner of the house where we could see it, it saw us and stood on rears and looked at us on the shed roof. My friend shot and the bear dropped. We could hear labored breathing in the tall grass but couldn't see it. Still labored breathing 5 minutes later. I had a 338 Win Mag. We approached the bear and found it unconscious, but alive. Finished it with a 44 round thru the lungs.

The 44 Mag bullet had impacted the frontal area of the skull next to one of the eyes. That's where the bullet was found, against the skull. A soft lead factory round of some sort. 220gr or 240gr as I recall. The bullet flattened out on the skull, never punching into it. Bullet was well expanded. It cracked the skull and caused enough brain trauma, the bear was comatose. I hadn't had much experience with revolvers at that time. Figured that was about normal for a 44 Mag slug on a bear skull.

40yrs later, I know more. A hard cast lead bullet would have been the more appropriate bullet.

This same friend later worked as a policeman for the City of Soldotna. He had the need to dispatch many moose that had been hit by cars on the local roads. When he started, the standard issue firearm was a 45 Auto pistol. He said those 45 bullets commonly required multiple skull shots to kill a moose. Many wouldn't penetrate the skull. Later the standard issue firearm became a 41 Mag revolver. He said no problem braining a moose with one shot from the 41 Magnum. There was also a period when they were issued .357 Mag revolvers. I don't remember him saying anything about the .357 Mag on moose skulls, so they must have penetrated moose skulls, or he would have said something.

I was present 15yrs ago when a City of Kenai policeman finished off a car struck moose. He grabbed a 12ga Rem 870 and put 2 slugs into its skull. Never used his sidearm.

No more moose skull trivia. Other than I can say the 338 Win Mag will clear out the inside of a moose's skull.

Dissertation time: This post is about the lack of penetration of a 44 Magnum soft lead factory bullet on the skull of a 130lb black bear.

I was with a friend in ~1981, who shot a black bear in the head with a 44 Magnum S&W revolver, from about 20yds. This was a nuisance bear that had been marauding a small house on the Kenai Peninsula, about 35 miles from where I live. The lady that owned the house had moved out until the bear could be dispatched. She called the complaint into Fish & Game multiple times. My friend worked at Fish & Game at this time. Bear season was open. The lady wanted the bear killed. My friend and I went out to kill it.
The homeowner said the bear showed up at 7:30 every morning. We showed up for a 6am hunt. Sure enough, the bear had worn a path down around the house, and claw marks were visible on the siding. One of the windows had been broken, and was covered with plywood. We could tell the bear had gained access into her house at least once. The bear was a regular visitor trying to get back into this house.
We climbed on top of a small shed about 20yd from the house. Like clockwork, the bear showed right on time. When it walked around the corner of the house where we could see it, it saw us and stood on rears and looked at us on the shed roof. My friend shot and the bear dropped. We could hear labored breathing in the tall grass but couldn't see it. Still labored breathing 5 minutes later. I had a 338 Win Mag. We approached the bear and found it unconscious, but alive. Finished it with a 44 round thru the lungs.

The 44 Mag bullet had impacted the frontal area of the skull next to one of the eyes. That's where the bullet was found, against the skull. A soft lead factory round of some sort. 220gr or 240gr as I recall. The bullet flattened out on the skull, never punching into it. Bullet was well expanded. It cracked the skull and caused enough brain trauma, the bear was comatose. I hadn't had much experience with revolvers at that time. Figured that was about normal for a 44 Mag slug on a bear skull.

40yrs later, I know more. A hard cast lead bullet would have been the more appropriate bullet.

This same friend later worked as a policeman for the City of Soldotna. He had the need to dispatch many moose that had been hit by cars on the local roads. When he started, the standard issue firearm was a 45 Auto pistol. He said those 45 bullets commonly required multiple skull shots to kill a moose. Many wouldn't penetrate the skull. Later the standard issue firearm became a 41 Mag revolver. He said no problem braining a moose with one shot from the 41 Magnum. There was also a period when they were issued .357 Mag revolvers. I don't remember him saying anything about the .357 Mag on moose skulls, so they must have penetrated moose skulls, or he would have said something.

I was present 15yrs ago when a City of Kenai policeman finished off a car struck moose. He grabbed a 12ga Rem 870 and put 2 slugs into its skull. Never used his sidearm.

No more moose skull trivia. Other than I can say the 338 Win Mag will clear out the inside of a moose's skull.
Man, glad my bullet of choice is a 290 grain hard cast RNFP! If I was gonna carry one of my .40's for bear, I would probably use a 180 or 200 grain hard cast RNFP loaded on the upper end. They say not to use cast bullets in the glock polygonal barrels, I have used them and they do lead a lot, but enough for bear protection purposes wouldn't cause any issue.

Good post and good info 👍

Man, glad my bullet of choice is a 290 grain hard cast RNFP! If I was gonna carry one of my .40's for bear, I would probably use a 180 or 200 grain hard cast RNFP loaded on the upper end. They say not to use cast bullets in the glock polygonal barrels, I have used them and they do lead a lot, but enough for bear protection purposes wouldn't cause any issue.
I think you're okay with hard cast Cody. I shot a lot of soft lead while training and competing and they did lead up the barrels pretty bad on my Glocks. But I never had any issues. Switched to jacketed after the warnings came out. As far as I know on the Glock forums guys haven't had any issues with Glocks and hard cast.

Expanding bullets seem like a good idea right up until you see what actually happens! I watched my father-in-law put 4 shots into a black bear with a 45 Win Mag shooting 230gr JHPs (Noslers loaded in Underwood Ammo). Only 1 of those bullets made it into the chest at 50 yards. The rest failed to penetrate through the ribs. Bullet choice matters more than caliber sometimes.

with the black bears found there I would use the 44 special/44 mag revolver. S&W 629 or 624 will do the job. the 10 MM G-20 will do it too. what people forget is the 45 Colt does a really good job as well. the 454 Cassul is no slouch. then you have the 460 and 500 S&W mags. I used to use a 41 Mag in a 6" blackhawk. a wonderful round. I would not turn down any of the rounds listed except the 460 and 500 due to the size of the revolvers they come in. a pumped up 44 SPL is nothing really to scough at. I have had a 44 SPL with 240 grain slugs to within 100 FPS of the 44 Mag without the recoil. killed a few bears with that S&W. the current bear protection I have are 41 Mag and 45 Colt-Blackhawk/S&W 625 respectively. the 300 grain 45 colt does a better job than the 44 mag that I have observed. 210 grain 41 mag does a very adequate job of putting down blacks and a few browns I have witnessed. My first line of defense is acutally bear spray with a 25 foot stream. I find it did a better job than anything in MT, CA, VT, ME, WI and BC.
The 460 and 500 with the holsters built to go across your chest aren't to be discounted either if you pack them this way! Fast easy access

IMG_20201102_092805519.jpg
IMG_20201102_092455609.jpg
IMG_20201031_103954004_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201102_093924390.jpg
IMG_20201031_112959777.jpg
IMG_20201031_113134363.jpg
IMG_20201031_104452208_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201102_080035867.jpg