Bear protection Auto in a holster Poll

Do you carry your semi-auto for bear protection in a holster chambered or not chambered?

• Chambered

Votes: 89 78.8%
  • Chambered but on safety

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Not chambered

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters
When packing in serious bear country or grizzly country, do you pack your pistol holstered chambered, chambered on safety, or not chambered till needed?
Chambered and off safety--I only own DA/SA autos so no problem carrying one in the pipe with hammer down, ready to go. Saves fiddling with buttons and possible switch errors in a time compressed event.

I will say that even a 10mm would not turn this black bear I called in while I was turkey hunting a few years ago. He stepped out at 30 yds and the first shot didn't faze him . He got to the pile of rocks at twenty and I put a shot into the rocks to no luck. So I slowly backed out. I've got the same hunt this year and will be buying the otc bear tag . This time as long as it's still open I'm going to put one in the bear

Attachments

• 0508210649_Burst01.thumb.jpg.cb1b6c263cc6beb853d9a89fa10fc699.jpg
    0508210649_Burst01.thumb.jpg.cb1b6c263cc6beb853d9a89fa10fc699.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 37
It's not for "recreational" shooting, it's for "survival" shooting…. unless you hand load light loads for it! for it! 😉 memtb
Oh I know. It'd be hard for me to rely on something that I can only shoot five times a day before my hand falls off though. I really do like the power, control, and round count in my 10mm. My 329PD really isn't much better shooting decently hot loads, that thing tries to rip my hand off too.

Chav you took the words out of my mouth. My 329 in 44 mag is what has me getting serious about a semi auto 10. I can shoot that thing really great actually with light loads but you should watch me try to shoot 5 or 6 fast! Hot loads? Forget it. It would be a comical video to watch slomo. I used to own the xdm and I shot both together and actually shot tighter with the 329 when shooting slow and concentrating but in the heat the xdm had way more down range in half the time. I'll keep my 329 for blackies but 15+1 10mm's as fast as I can pull the trigger feels like a pretty good investment for grizz country.

Recent Posts