Bear protection Auto in a holster Poll

Do you carry your semi-auto for bear protection in a holster chambered or not chambered?

• Chambered

Votes: 89 78.8%
  • Chambered but on safety

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Not chambered

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters
Chav you took the words out of my mouth. My 329 in 44 mag is what has me getting serious about a semi auto 10. I can shoot that thing really great actually with light loads but you should watch me try to shoot 5 or 6 fast! Hot loads? Forget it. It would be a comical video to watch slomo. I used to own the xdm and I shot both together and actually shot tighter with the 329 when shooting slow and concentrating but in the heat the xdm had way more down range in half the time. I'll keep my 329 for blackies but 15+1 10mm's as fast as I can pull the trigger feels like a pretty good investment for grizz country.
I carry my 329PD during rifle season, it's a lot lighter than my fully loaded XDm OSP. During archery, I like knowing that I have the extra rounds and can afford the extra couple of pounds added to the kit. I like both equally but, in the heat of the moment I'd trust myself a lot more with the 10mm and 15 rounds.

Last edited:
Glock 20 chambered in a Kenai chest holster for quick access.

Boom done! With Buff Bore.

When I'm out of Buff Bore I'm going to Mackey Sagebrush for my loads

IMO carrying in bear country and not going hot is a lot like hopping in the back seat at the drive in back in high school and having your trojans tucked away in the pocket and not in use..........just a thunk

We play golf at the gun range . Most of the time with .22s . Everyone gets their loaded magazine to see how far they can move the ball out . Its a great time , you can shoot them with a little english to move them where you want like shooting pool .

Best darn use of golf balls I've heard of...

Chav you took the words out of my mouth. My 329 in 44 mag is what has me getting serious about a semi auto 10. I can shoot that thing really great actually with light loads but you should watch me try to shoot 5 or 6 fast! Hot loads? Forget it. It would be a comical video to watch slomo. I used to own the xdm and I shot both together and actually shot tighter with the 329 when shooting slow and concentrating but in the heat the xdm had way more down range in half the time. I'll keep my 329 for blackies but 15+1 10mm's as fast as I can pull the trigger feels like a pretty good investment for grizz country.
I packed a 329 for about 6 years before trading it for a Marlin 1894 in .44. We don't have grizz where I moved to, and I didn't need the horsepower.

Shooting specials is a breeze, and some of the heavier rounds like HSM 305gr bear loads sucked but I could normally get 3 on target at 15 yards (about 4" group) and I'd invariably put the last 3 about a foot low.

The game changed when I tried the Buffalo bore "low recoil" 255gr specially designed for the 329. That mofo kicked so hard it engaged the hammer lock on the second shot. Seized up the whole **** revolver. I shot 5 total and gave the box to my brother for his Blackhawk to eat.

I guess my point is the 329 is great for a lightweight setup where you can't afford the extra ounces but need something stout. If you can pack bigger, and get more on target, it's worth going that route.

It's "not" how fast you can "spray" 15 downrange…..it's how fast that you can put "one accurate" shot downrange!

But, if you think that you can put an additional 14 downrange accurately makes you feel better……. I'm praying you never need to verify that! 😉 memtb

I will say that the Ruger SP101 in .357mag is very pleasant to shoot especially with .38spl. Once you get the 180gr bear loads accuracy goes out the window after rapid fire shot #3. The 44mm Alaskan is a beast the way Ruger builds them. The grip definitely makes it more manageable than I thought it would be!

I'm pretty sure they will still eat you alive if you were on their team.

Keep in mind, due to where I recreate and work my safe has more rifles built for bear protection than guns for self defense against two legged critters.... so I'm probably fine. This season for beach combing we had the 375, a new 4570 and a 300 rum that we picked up or the local classifieds cheap. There is at least one x frame floating around in a Pelican case and a few 10mms in various form as well. But the rifles get carried when we're in big bear country.

I'd shown the thread to one of my local crew guys, who tried to explain it to my only half awake southern crewman. It devolved rather quickly from "if we were in wide bay or yantarni, would you rather see a bear or a southerner walking towards you?", to "with either one what would constitute a charge worth fitting on?". Eventually the still half asleep southern crewman nursing the pot of coffee said that he'd likely fire on a bear only if it was under 25 yards and barking, but he'd likely fire on the southerner as soon as it talked.

Needless to say it was more entertaining then penetrarion vs. Kinetic energy. And the conclusion was we are now rooting for the Bears.