Bear protection Auto in a holster Poll

Do you carry your semi-auto for bear protection in a holster chambered or not chambered?

• Chambered

Votes: 89 78.8%
  • Chambered but on safety

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Not chambered

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters
When packing in serious bear country or grizzly country, do you pack your pistol holstered chambered, chambered on safety, or not chambered till needed?
I carry a Glock 40 and chambered. Safety on? It's a Glock. 🤣

I used to carry a .44 Mag with six rounds and always thought of saving one of them for myself. 😇

Last edited:
Pretty silly question. A grizzly from 50 yds will be on you in less than 3 seconds, maybe 2 if she or he is motivated in 20yds bout 1 second. Better question, can you cycle to load and hit them 8 -10 times in 2 secs? Go to, used to be a 15 rd glock 29, but then I found a new love - FN510 with 22round mag and she will do everything the Glocks can do and then some and is easier to manage than the G29. Good luck if you carry unchambered - update your will.

Get a plastic fantastic in 10mm (Glock, FN, Sig, Springfield Armory) without an external safety. Load magazine with 200 grain Buffalo Bore hardcast ammo, chamber a round, carefully slide gun into a high quality, name brand holster. Enjoy life.

The key is to keep your finger and dangling things like the cords on hoodies & cords at the bottom of some jackets, out of the trigger guard when putting the gun into the holster. Holster SLOWLY. Unholster rapidly. And practice your draw. Speed wins, along with rounds on (in) target.

Odds of needing a gun for bears is really small, but if it happens, you'll be so glad you put in the practice of drawing from the holster you'll be using. All survivors report things happened really, really fast. You don't want to be fumbling with a safety when the critical, hundreths of a seconds count, moment comes.

Thanks for the good advice frog. I'll admit it is a silly question but I've been packing a 329 pd revolver up until this point and it never even crossed my mind till a friend told me to buy the safety version M&P which made me question everything. Sounds like there's no question…pack it chambered, and practice seriously which I intend to do.

While PA is not grizzly territory, I've had a couple run ins with black dears that were closer than I'd like to have been.
I've taken to wearing my Walther PPQ in 45ACP while out in the woods.
12 rounds of 185gr LSWC will make anything I run into change it's mind about messing with me.

Would work for two legged critters needing dispatched too.

Whole I don't carry with 1 in the chamber, I would however carry 1 in the chamber for dangerous animals! Safety us my finger! Just get a 50ae and use tmj or deepcurls. I haven't tried and hardcast. At 50 yards I have to aim (human size target) at the bellybutton for head shots.

Thanks for the good advice frog. I'll admit it is a silly question but I've been packing a 329 pd revolver up until this point and it never even crossed my mind till a friend told me to buy the safety version M&P which made me question everything. Sounds like there's no question…pack it chambered, and practice seriously which I intend to do.
The 329pd is what I carry in Eastern Idaho mountains. Only had to pull it once, no bears, but a huge male cat.

Just remember that the biggest caliber you carry must also be the one you can shoot accurately. A 460 S&W is not good if you can not consistently hit something at the range. Remember you are going to be under some stress if you need it and accuracy is critical at that point.

Almost like Buck fever the first time you were ever out. "Gee I can group 1" at a hundred, how did i miss that 12 pointer at 50 yards"

Recent Posts