Bartline Barrels

Iron Worker

What do you all think of Bartline barrels . Specifically a 29" Rem Varmint 6mm 8"5R Twist Chambered in 6mm Creedmore . Purpose long range steel and prairie Dogs . Current rifle is Rem 700 Sendearo in 6/284. That bbl is done,I'm through with that cartridge. How long do I want the bbl to be ?

I think they are great I have 1 in 338 Lapua and 2 in 6.5 creedmore all 3 shoot great.
But I may be a little biased being that I live 5 minutes from their shop and know quite a few of the guys that work there. That being said I also know a few guys that work at Kreiger barrels which would also be a good choice in a barrel but I feel Bartlien makes a better barrel.

Oh I forgot to say give Bartlein a call the guys there would be more than happy to talk to you and help you make the right choice.

What do you all think of Bartline barrels . Specifically a 29" Rem Varmint 6mm 8"5R Twist Chambered in 6mm Creedmore . Purpose long range steel and prairie Dogs . Current rifle is Rem 700 Sendearo in 6/284. That bbl is done,I'm through with that cartridge. How long do I want the bbl to be ?

Jusy curious, what round count did that 6-284 Hillary out on you ?

I have owned three Bartlein barrels to date. I will certainly own others. TIP: bullets.com has bartlein barrels in stock:

http://www.bullets.com/search?q=(bartlein+OR+barrels)

Iron Worker: I remember when you were working up loads for your 6mm-284 just a few years ago IIRC. I had a 6mm-284 and we were exchanging load information. My rifle had a Bartlein 7.5 twist that was 30" and weighed 20 lbs. It lasted 1100 rounds more or less. Bet yours wore out with similar round count.

It is interesting that you are about to switch to a small 6mm. I did the same thing, it is a 6 BR. My friend liked that package so much he talked me into selling it to him. It had one of those Stocky Bobby Hart long range target stocks. I immediately built another 6 BR this time with a shehane tracker stock in Arizona sunset. I really like the stock and the rifle is lots of fun to shoot. It should last a long time when compared to that shortlived 6mm-284.

I still have my 6mm-284 reamer. I now use it to rechamber Remington 243 takeoff barrels for a sporter weight rifle. I can afford to burn up those barrels and just put on another.

I just tried my first Bartlien on an old(1970's) Rem 700 LA. Ordered in 6.5x284, 1:8 twist, 26", R5, stainless, matt finished. Sent the action to Bartlien and had them true up the action and install the heavy recoil lug. Sendero contour. Total cost, about $825. Took about 4 mos. Broke the barrel in with about 20 rounds. Cleans up in a few patches of Bore tech CU+2. Currently have a few hundred rounds down the tube. I'm very impressed with the accuracy which has consistently held sub .25MOA. I can see why they are top rated with the BR crowd.

Attachments

• IMG_0491.JPG
    IMG_0491.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 42
I just tried my first Bartlien on an old(1970's) Rem 700 LA. Ordered in 6.5x284, 1:8 twist, 26", R5, stainless, matt finished. Sent the action to Bartlien and had them true up the action and install the heavy recoil lug. Sendero contour. Total cost, about $825. Took about 4 mos. Broke the barrel in with about 20 rounds. Cleans up in a few patches of Bore tech CU+2. Currently have a few hundred rounds down the tube. I'm very impressed with the accuracy which has consistently held sub .25MOA. I can see why they are top rated with the BR crowd.
Not trying to hijack the thread but Greyfox did you have to have the feed rails opened any for the fatter body of the 284?

Not trying to hijack the thread but Greyfox did you have to have the feed rails opened any for the fatter body of the 284?

No issues at all, it feeds perfectly with the original 30-06 BDL magazine box which will hold three rounds. I had read that people have had feeding issues with the 6.5x284 but this had not been my experience with the Rem 700 or Winchester Model 70's. Perhaps they were using short actions.

Attachments

• IMG_2149.JPG
    IMG_2149.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 45
No issues at all, it feeds perfectly with the original 30-06 BDL magazine box which will hold three rounds. I had read that people have had feeding issues with the 6.5x284 but this had not been my experience with the Rem 700 or Winchester Model 70's. Perhaps they were using short actions.

Thanks Grayfox. I've been thinking about rebarreling a 700 to a 6.5x284 or a 6.5 sherman but was worried about the 284 feeding.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.