barrels????????????????

Gator26

so i whent out and got a vanguard in 300 wby. its the tan one with the black webing, i really dont mind the recoil at all i seriously think my ruger in 300 win mag kicks more beats me tho. any ways im looking to put on a new barrel but cant decide what one i should get i know theres lots of differnt ones out there but is one brand really that much better than all the others? allso could someone let me know how the tapers and twist work and how do decide what one would be best for my rifle ? thanks alot.

things anyone needs to know to help you,
what caliber
what is its purpose
How much do you want the rifle to weigh when complete
What weight bullet are you going to shoot and at what velocity
RR

weight isnt an issue it will be used for elk and medium to long range we use atv's to get to our spots 165 gr 300wby is what ill be shooting .

Last edited:
OK,
I'd go 9 or10 twist about 28-30 inches long around a lilja #7 contour.
for the long range part I'd go with a 200 gr bullet like the 208 A-max or a comparitive berger, accubond or such.
RR

so i whent out and got a vanguard in 300 wby. its the tan one with the black webing, i really dont mind the recoil at all i seriously think my ruger in 300 win mag kicks more beats me tho. any ways im looking to put on a new barrel but cant decide what one i should get i know theres lots of differnt ones out there but is one brand really that much better than all the others? allso could someone let me know how the tapers and twist work and how do decide what one would be best for my rifle ? thanks alot.
Barrels
Simply put, many barrel makers can duplicate your factory contour and make the new barrel so it fits into your stock without alteration.

Who makes a better barrel? Yes there have been better barrels with many laying claim to lots of world records. But, who's barrels recently are actually winning matches? Who makes a very good barrel at a reasonable cost? Are you willing to spend $400. for a Broughton barrel or would you be willing to spend $250. for a Benchmark barrel of which Benchmark has a very long list of world records. One of which was shot July 4th in Washington State 2009. A gentleman shot a .067 200 yard aggregate.

Really your application and what you are willing to pay for a blank should be the deciding factor. If you have a gunsmith, trust his judgement as his business demands he use a reputable repeatable quality barrel. Does your smith give you a guarantee as to the accuracy you require?

Somethings to think about.

Neal

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.