barrels

MindBender

Well I could really use some imput once again.
I`m concidering using a 27 inch barrel. Because im going to use the 308 for deer hunting. But im going to attemt to use it for competition also.
For accuracy purpose for competition shooting 1kyards+ and hunting 500 to 700 yards what twist should i use in the barrel?
Question 2-- Need inpout on Muzzle breaks.
Will just a top break work or does it have to be a full 360 break, I hate haveing to wait for all the dirt to clear after shooting, to see if if the animal ran or droped after the shot {when shooting from a prone position}? Do to the point i want to attempt to use this rifle for competition also if any way possible. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Question #3--- what average bullet weight should be used with what twist.Dont want to damage the barrel by my ignorance so i figured i better ask the pros before i start sending lead down range to a target
[email protected]

DanC

1 in 11 Broughton 5C

Have a real pro make you 'EXACTLY' what you need, check the pics:

http://artactical.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/854601805/m/8271003561

The Berger 185 or Scenar 155 will both go past 1000 out of the 308.
Brakes_6_Designs.jpg

DanC,
I will also agree that a 1in 11 twist 5C Broughton barrel
would be prefect.As far as barrel length,I would probably shoot for the 26" length,but feel that anywhere from 24-28 would be acceptable.

Muzzle brakes~
I build a Holland quick discharge style brake without holes on the bottom and they work ecellant,no acuracy loss at all.
If you gun is running in the 12 -14 lb range,I don't know that you would want a muzzle brake as a lot of competitions don't allow them,but if you do end up getting a muzzle brake get a fitted end cap at the same time to protect the threads on the barrel when your brake is off.

Bullets and twist~
The 1 in 11 twist will handle from the 150's to the 190's without a problem. I feel it never hurts to put a little extra spin on a bullet..... unless the bullet can't handle it. As far as hurting your barrel from shooting the wrong bullet for twist rate,you do not need to worry about it(other than normal throat erosion) the only thing that will happen is a loss of accuracy in that round.
FWIW,
308nate

I'll second Chris 22"-24" For one a shorter barrel is stiffer. You could then go with a lighter countour, as you seem to want a brake anyway. Would make a fine comp rifle and be more portable in the field.

[ QUOTE ]
308- 22- 24" barrel tops- I shoot to 1000 with a 24" at 2700 fps with the 175 MK
Brakes- Badger
175gr MK

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris,

If the shooter thinks a 27" barrel won't be too unweildly for his deer application, if he is aware of that fact, why would you tell him to go shorter? He says he also wants to use the rifle for competition, as long as his contour isn't too heavy at the front, longer is better...

22-24" isn't always best...

If you do go with whatever length, look at the 155 scenars for the long range shooting...They will help you out at your low-ish velocities for long range windage..DO NOT compare them to the 155 sierras, they are a different bullet all together...

JR

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.