Ace Barrels

Mark built a couple rifles for me back in 2013-2014 when Sherman was just getting started, and thats why I knew that these barrels were coming. He was recommended to me by Bruce Thom (BAT engineering), another guy that knows his trade. He built rifles that shot very well and was big into building very high end muzzle loaders for African hunting. He had some God awful bore sizes that almost weighed the projectiles in pounds instead of ounces. I remember him telling me about a client who shot through an elephants head.
This doesn't have a lot to do with Ace barrels other than to point out Mark was an innovator who built top notch stuff!

I'm getting ready to build a 30-06 AI (for my golden years ) since their in state I'm going to try a Ace barrel . With all the shortages of components most of us have some brass and bullets tucked away that may not be the latest and greatest, but will work fine for what I intend to use it for.

His passion and expertise in both firearms manufacturing and engineering drove him to design proprietary equipment to meet the highest standard of precision rifle barrel blank manufacturing.
They all say that. It is my understanding that single point rifling is a WW2 process, greatly improved by boots. Then the other cut rifled makers represent folks that learned what boots knew, got their own WW2 era equipment, and modified to run as cnc. Surely I am oversimplifying, but it is my understanding that there is no new equipment and few that know how to make it sing.

Actually I believe single point/cut rifling dates back to the 14th century. The old (1969 or so) video attached shows a reenactment from Williamsburg VA of their smiths using old methods to manufacturer a muzzleloader. It's long, but very interesting! Makes you realize why a rifle was a prized possession!

They all say that. It is my understanding that single point rifling is a WW2 process, greatly improved by boots. Then the other cut rifled makers represent folks that learned what boots knew, got their own WW2 era equipment, and modified to run as cnc. Surely I am oversimplifying, but it is my understanding that there is no new equipment and few that know how to make it sing.
Respectfully Sir, you don't know what you don't know. You have not seen what Mark has built, nor have you ever seen him run machine equipment. There is a reason that statement was made about proprietary equipment.

Cut point rifling was long before WW2,
and there is actually new equipment out there. Precihole makes about everything out there to make a button or cut barrel.
Boots gets the credit for bringing the 5R to the U.S.from the Russians.

Respectfully Sir, you don't know what you don't know. You have not seen what Mark has built, nor have you ever seen him run machine equipment. There is a reason that statement was made about proprietary equipment.
I think I'm coming off wrong. I'm really just trying to understand why I should buy their barrel over a Brux, Bartlein, etc. It's not cheaper. Is it better? How?

I'm not some kind of amateur barrel making know-it-all.

Actually I believe single point/cut rifling dates back to the 14th century. The old (1969 or so) video attached shows a reenactment from Williamsburg VA of their smiths using old methods to manufacturer a muzzleloader. It's long, but very interesting! Makes you realize why a rifle was a prized possession!

That was awesome, thanks for sharing.

@nksmfamjp I'm sorry for not replying to you. I must have missed your post. However, I also am no sort of "amateur barrel making know-it-all" but am pretty sure you would not be disappointed with an Ace Barrel. I do not know anything about the processes at Brux, but I'd venture to guess that if you borescoped them side by side, you would notice some differences. If, in the future you find yourself needing a new barrel blank, it might be worth your time to call Ace and at least talk with them.

I'll add in another vote to listening to the Shoot2Hunt Podcast ( I think you can find it on YouTube as well.) They have a sit down with the owner and it's a pretty interesting discussion. Unknown Munitions is making most of their guns with Ace barrels and have a reputation for building some quality, good shooting rifles. I'd buy one in heart beat having heard their story and their process of barrel making.