Barrel twist / Chamber lengths Q's

excaliber

I'm in the process of deciding on a custom build for my new Rifle. I'm going to build a 300 Win Mag with a Stiller predator action. I was looking at a Bartlein barrel but am not sure which twist for the barrel?
I currently have 1:10 twist on my Rem 700 26" factory barrel.

Another question I have is chambering. Currently I'm shooting 180 gr Nosler Accubonds but I see many here are Berger fans. If I were to have the chamber cut for these longer Bergers will it still shoot the Accubonds well?

This is going to be a hunting rifle for Elk.

All of my rifles (most of which are custom builds) shoot Bergers extremely well, they have also shot Accubonds extremely well, and none of them have custom throats. The reamers used all have standard throat dimensions.

In my opinion, with a .300WM, I wouldn't waste my time or money on buying a custom reamer. But that's just my opinion. If you were building a wildcat caliber, or a comp rifle, then that would be different, but for a standard hunting rifle, I feel SAAMI specs works just fine.

Also, 1:10 twist should stabilize any bullet you want to shoot, all the way up to the Berger 230gr OTM Hybrids.

I'd get a 1:12 twist if bullets 200 grains and lighter would be used.

A 1:11 is good for bullets up to 220 grains.

All of my rifles (most of which are custom builds) shoot Bergers extremely well, they have also shot Accubonds extremely well, and none of them have custom throats. The reamers used all have standard throat dimensions.

In my opinion, with a .300WM, I wouldn't waste my time or money on buying a custom reamer. But that's just my opinion. If you were building a wildcat caliber, or a comp rifle, then that would be different, but for a standard hunting rifle, I feel SAAMI specs works just fine.

Also, 1:10 twist should stabilize any bullet you want to shoot, all the way up to the Berger 230gr OTM Hybrids.

Very good advice !!!!

If you have a special reamer built for the Berger bullets and it doesn't like them your screwed.
Go with the SAMMI spec reamer and a 1 in 10 twist and you will be happy because it should shoot most bullets well.

Some prefer to set the Bergers touching the lands, I find that they shoot well with .030 to .090 jump
and the pressures are lower.

J E CUSTOM

I was thinking a 1:10 twist was the way to go. Now I just need to decide on barrel length 26-28"

Thanks for the info

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.