Barrel Lengths

jpbaker

I dunno why, but over the past couple weeks, I got the hankering to buy a marlin 1895 45-70 for bear hunting in the spring.

My question has to do with the barrel length,

Marlin 1895G has 18.5" barrel.

What would be the aprox muzzle velocity lost over a 24-26"

Keep in minde I will be using this in the 100-150yard range, basicly a big bore "bush gun."

I still haven't figured out why people think big bore, heavy bullet, slow *** cartridges are good for bear hunting, a properly loaded 308 with a 20" pipe will hit just as hard at 50 yards. But to answer your question, with the fast burning powders used in a 45-70 there is little to be gained in 6-8" of barrel. The fact that the 1895 is a lever gun is more of a drawback than the barrel length, cowboy guns simply won't take the pressures that you can load to in a single shot or bolt gun.

I still haven't figured out why people think big bore, heavy bullet, slow *** cartridges are good for bear hunting, a properly loaded 308 with a 20" pipe will hit just as hard at 50 yards.

I dunno why I am explaining myself but here we go:

And I totally agree with you, but my 300wm is not suited for the bush at a OAL of 46", and a Marlin 45-70 with a OAL of 37" seems like a logical choice for me considering the price.

Normally I use my 300wm with 200gr Accubond (does wonders), but looking for something new/different this time.

I understand the problems with the pressure in the lever actions. I have been going over my books and firgure that 2000+ fps will still be atainable with a 350gr pill.

Tks for answereing the question on barrel length, good to know.

TKS
JPB

Well another 2 good options is savage offers the model 16 bear hunter in 325wsm and remington made a new run of model 7s in 350 rem mag, they both seem to be popular among bear hunters . My point was that 350 45 cal bullet ever at 2000fps has like a .23BC so it runs out of steam real quick. In the marlin I'm a fan of the 444, imo its a little more potent, but its your decision, just throwing out some ideas.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.