Barrel length & twist effects

Alfred Crouch

For 7 mm mags & 300 Mags - I think I heard a 26" length is needed to efficiently burn the powder. Seems I have seen that a 1:9 or 1:9.5 twist is desirable on the 7 mag.

Remington 7 mag: mostly 26' barrel with 1 to 9.25 twist
Savage 7 mag: 24" barrel with 1 to 9 twist
Cooper 280 AI: 23" barrel with 1 to 10 twist

What do you think the implications of these difference will be?
Which would you think would be better?

Thanks. Al Crouch

I'd like the tighter twists of the Savage and Rem. for the heavier bullets I prefer (160gr and 162gr)

My 7mm Rem Mag has a 24" barrel and I get a touch more than 3000fps with a 160gr Accubond using RL-22

AJ

Alfred, if you check the Berger site, you'll see the recomended twists of "their" bullets which are a longer VLD requiring a tighter twist than most conventional bullets. The 168 VLD requires a 10 twist or better and the 180 VLD requires a 9 twist or better. The Berger recommended twist is *probably* conservative. A 180 VLD would *probably* work in a 9 1/4 twist depending on velocity, barrel length, and air density. A 160 gr NAB would work in a 10 twist.

If I was going to do a custom build, I would probably get an 8 twist or tighter for some of the longer high BC wildcat or custom bullets... especially the monometals.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/Products/All%20Bullets.html

Barrel length will probably boil down to about 25-30 fps per inch.

-MR

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.