Barrel length & twist questions

Brad615

Hello All,
Looking for some opinions, and or suggestions for my next project. I'm going to be sending in my 7mm Rem Mag to have a new barrel installed. Should I go with a 27' or 28' barrel, and I'm thinking either a 1-7 or 1-8 twist. I'm doing this for long range accuracy, but also to hunt with. It's a small sporter style barrel so I'm not worried about the weight difference. The bullets I reload love a tight twist so I'm thinking 1.7 twist. For the barrel length is there any noticeable gain in going with a 28' over the 27'? I have heard more accuracy & faster fps with the 28' & I've also heard that there was no noticeable difference?
Thank You,
Brad.

The Berger 195's require a 1-8 (minimum) so my thinking is since I'm having the barrel made & have the option to pick the twist I want maybe go with even more of a twist. Do I need the 7 twist probably not but if it doesn't hurt or effect the bullet flight except to stabilize it more then why not.? I guess my question is can to much of a twist hurt more then help?

I'd stick with an 8 twist personally. Just don't think the 7 will give you anything noticeable in performance or speed. Same for barrel length, one inch won't be a major improvement one way or the other. If it's a carry rifle go with the shorter.

The Berger 195's require a 1-8 (minimum) so my thinking is since I'm having the barrel made & have the option to pick the twist I want maybe go with even more of a twist. Do I need the 7 twist probably not but if it doesn't hurt or effect the bullet flight except to stabilize it more then why not.? I guess my question is can to much of a twist hurt more then help?
I know plenty of guys who shoot the 195's in 8.5 and don't want anymore twist than that.

No way I'd go a faster twist than a 1-8".........
If Bergers are spun too fast they have been known to come un-done (AKA: blow up) before they hit the target, for the most part with 3 groove barrel's. for your project get a 5 or 6 groove barrel

just because your current barrel shoots the 195's well doesn't mean your new one will. So don't put all your eggs in that basket. As far as 27" or 28" nothing significant between the two, couple FPS and a fast 24-26" barrel may outperform your new barrel for velocity if it turns out to be slow, luck of the draw. For twist I'd say 1:8" will do what you want with 195's and less with cup and core bullets, heavy monos you will need faster but even at sea level and 2650 FPS your bullet is stable until you get close to 38* F, increase your altitude some and velocity and your going to be plenty stable at lower temps. Check out Bergers stability calculator and decide for yourself what you need.

My original thought was the 1-8 as I feel that will be more then enough but didn't want to close the door on the 1-7 so figured I'd ask. My current barrel is a 1-9.5 & the 180 vld's require a 1-9, however I've had no problem getting them to stabilize so far so I understand where your coming from L sherm.

Thanks for the input guys,
After speaking with the bullet mfg I've decided to go with the 27in barrel & 1-8 twist.
Thanks,
Brad.

8 is all thats needed I am shooting the 195 in an 8 and having zero issues even the 177 hammer hunter only needs an 8 so you are making the right call

27" light contour is going to be a whippy sucker. I personally wouldn't go lighter than a 3b in a 27".
I was thinking the same thing. I would recommend at most a 26" barrel. I've seen 27 and 28" barrels leave shot gun patterns at 200 yards. If the OP wants to do long distance with such an excellent cartridge. I would shorten the barrel to 26" or if you want 27 or 28" heavy contour or a tapered contour in 27" would be more suitable. Going to 28" does not gain you much of an advantage, at the most 25 to 30 FPS only. It will be difficult to find OCW with a light 27" but it is doable . Congratulations OP.

Last edited:
Sorry technically it's a sporter contour on a browning xbolt stainless stalker with a 26' barrel. So there shouldn't be any issues with whip going to a 27'. I hope lol!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.