Barrel length questions!

Ok looks like I am about to start getting together components to build my wife a rifle.
The rifle will be a shorter/lighter build so that it's easy for her to handle, I will list the components I am thinking then ask the questions.

LH M700 Mag bolt face
Proof Carbon 22" sendaro light
Timmney trigger
Will do a Watt bottom metal

Thinking about 6.5 PRC or a 270 WSM

Question I have is what grain bullet should I be thinking about with the shorter barrel, this is not a long range rig max hunting range would be 400 yds

I don't know why the 150ish 6.5s and the 170 270s peak my interest but since it's not a long range rifle and a shorter barrel I may need a lighter bullet weight.

Thanks for your opinions and information.

Pistol: Q Chassis. 308 win. 12" Bartlein 1:10 5R. Palma contour. 6 hits in a row @ 700 on 10" plate off bipod with a 4x Scope. (Navy Seal). The Crosshairs covered plate. They also come in any 6.5/264. 300WSM. 458 SOCOM, etc.

This one is on a Tenacity action. They can be built on Rem 700s. The best of them are Defiant Left bolt right port custom actions w/Proof/Bartlein Fluted barrels. They are suppressor ready. The left hand action allows a right handed shooter full operation of the action while holding the pistol grip with right hand. I'd be very comfortable shooting this @ 12" in 308 Win. at deer out to 500 yards and in 300WSM @ 14"-15.5" at elk out to 750ish. Also built as rifles @ 16"+. I agree with previous writer. Shoot any bullet you want. Any barrel length. Build her something that fits her eye and mind as much as her body.
90FD81CB-080B-451A-B522-43193FF3D539.jpeg

Great info! Yes I am not stuck on a magnum just that was first two that came to my mind, also really like the 6.5-284 but was thinking if we were in a pinch then the 6.5 PRC or the 270 WSM I could pick up ammo at a store. And we are both left handed so......her rifle would be a very nice and handy light gun to grab and go :) but it will primarily be "her's"
Never underestimate the lowly 260 rem. If you handload esp. Built one for my daughter, liked ut so well i did one for me. Shoots130 barnes ttsx throygh both shoulders of a big zebra,stallion and groups ,25 to,3 moa.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.