Barrel length questions!

Lahunter76

Ok looks like I am about to start getting together components to build my wife a rifle.
The rifle will be a shorter/lighter build so that it's easy for her to handle, I will list the components I am thinking then ask the questions.

LH M700 Mag bolt face
Proof Carbon 22" sendaro light
Timmney trigger
Will do a Watt bottom metal

Thinking about 6.5 PRC or a 270 WSM

Question I have is what grain bullet should I be thinking about with the shorter barrel, this is not a long range rig max hunting range would be 400 yds

I don't know why the 150ish 6.5s and the 170 270s peak my interest but since it's not a long range rifle and a shorter barrel I may need a lighter bullet weight.

Thanks for your opinions and information.

At 400 yards shoot any bullet you want in any length barrel. My 20" 6.5ss shoots a 140 Berger at 2950. My 20" 6.5 creed shoots a 140 eldm at 2750. I have a 16.5" 260 rem that I just got and put 42gn h4350 in with a 130 Berger on top of it to get some rounds on the barrel before load development and they are going 2550fps.

Do you plan on truing action and doing some bolt modifications?

Last edited:
Ok looks like I am about to start getting together components to build my wife a rifle.
The rifle will be a shorter/lighter build so that it's easy for her to handle, I will list the components I am thinking then ask the questions.

LH M700 Mag bolt face
Timmney trigger

Question I have is what grain bullet should I be thinking about with the shorter barrel, this is not a long range rig max hunting range would be 400 yds

I don't know why the 150ish 6.5s and the 170 270s peak my interest but since it's not a long range rifle and a shorter barrel I may need a lighter bullet weight.

I've owned & shot two 270 wsm rifles, one 6.5 prc & one 6.5 saum. My recommendation for a cartridge for your wife to shoot would be the 6.5 prc. The Hornady factory 147 gr ammo shot really good. Hardly any reason to hand load for it. With the short barrel, you will get more bang for your buck with heavier bullets driven to moderate speeds. You will have less muzzle blast shooting heavier high bc bullets slower than lighter bullets driven to higher speeds while still having more down range energy with the heavier bullets at slower speeds. In a 22" the prc will have less muzzle blast & less recoil than the 270 wsm and be more shootable for your wife. Suppose you drive a 270 145 eldx to 3100 and the 147 prc to only 2900. The foot pounds of energy from both at given speeds will be near equal @400yds with the prc being way milder to shoot.

Great info! Yes I am not stuck on a magnum just that was first two that came to my mind, also really like the 6.5-284 but was thinking if we were in a pinch then the 6.5 PRC or the 270 WSM I could pick up ammo at a store. And we are both left handed so......her rifle would be a very nice and handy light gun to grab and go :) but it will primarily be "her's"

With the short barrel, you will get more bang for your buck with heavier bullets driven to moderate speeds.
I agree with this sentiment. BC is not really a concern out to your stated 400 yards. I would opt for the higher SD and heavier weight at moderate speeds as fergus states. 6.5 PRC, 6.5 CM, 7mm-08 or anything in that realm with heavy bullets will do wonders inside 400 yards. Ammo availability at local stores is usually really good.

I do have a donor action already.
Right on. I can not recommend enough to have your primary extraction checked and taken care of if need be before you spin a barrel on. It's an absolute pain in the butt to deal with later. Also, I agree with guys above that this build would be really well suited for a non magnum rifle. Especially with a longer 22" barrel the creedmoor or similar cartridge would be a great fit.

LH M700 Mag bolt face
Timmney trigger

What kind of hunting are you talking about a light weight gun in either of those calibers will be a little rough on her if it were deer I would go 6.5-47 260 rem or 7mm-08 alot more pleasant to shoot and alot better barrel life to allow for more practice and keep the mag action for yourself just my opinion though

What kind of hunting are you talking about a light weight gun in either of those calibers will be a little rough on her if it were deer I would go 6.5-47 260 rem or 7mm-08 alot more pleasant to shoot and alot better barrel life to allow for more practice and keep the mag action for yourself just my opinion though
Even the 6.5 creedmoor with 147s would suffice on deer out to 400yds and be a pleasure to shoot. The factory 6.5 prc ammo is rather mild. About the equivalent of shooting a 308 win. If she was comfortable with a 308 win, she would be comfortable with the prc but she may even be more likely to shoot more with a creedmoor or 6.5x47

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.