Barrel recommendations

Lots of good info here.

I have bought a lot if barrels in my 61 years of shooting. I like Lilja the best hunting guns but put Krieger on my FTR rifles as the tend to run 3500 rounds well and then go sideways in the next 100 rounds so you know when it is tome.

Screwed on the 6th Krieger and 2 more on order

The wilson barrels on Coopers are great. Bartlein makes some fine tubes.

Ron Smith of torrintingtin makes some really cool gain twist.

Shoot often and lots.

I have used quite a number of barrels over the past 40+ years
Good success with almost all makers I have tried. I had one that
was not up to standards, but it was replaced by the company with
out argument.
Shilen, Kreiger, Brux, Barrtlein, Pac-Nor, Benchmark, McGowen, Bob Jury,
JC Custom, Douglas, plus a couple of others have all worked well for me.

I have a 22 Rimfire [M37 Remington] with a Kreiger on it that shoots
incredibly well. My 308 Norma Mag wears a McGowen, and I have
shot numerous ½ inch groups at 200 meters with it.
I have 2 Benchmarks that are genuine ¼ moa rifles [6mm Remingtons]
I believe that smithing has a lot to do with the outcome as well. Dave.

I've heard good things about proof barrels I would like to try one out on my next build
I have 2 Proof barreled rifles, one in 300 WM and the other a 6 ARC ar15. The 300 is a sub .25 MOA rifle built by RBros. The other I built and shoots .5 MOA with factory 103 Hornady. I also own a Brux barreled FTR rifle in heavy Palma profile which shoots extremely well as a target rifle should. All said, if you are packing it around hunting, the Proof carbon is awesome and I do not regret spending the money when I am chasing moose in Alaska muskeg bogs.

I had to jump in on the Shilen barrels. I've had 4 or 5 Shilen barrels and I've put them on numerous rifles for friends. Especially if you get the Shilen select.match barrels, you've absolutely got a premium barrel. I've never had one that didn't shoot under 1/2moa, never. Excellent barrels.
I have 3 of the SS match in #3 contour Shilens on hunting rifles. They perform really well, me, not so!!!! With proper gunsmithing, 1/2 MOA is expected if not 1/4. I have over 5000 rounds thru the 284 win with max loads and it still is under 3/4 MOA for 5 shots consistently.

Going to put a new barrel on my Christensen Arms Mesa chambered in .28 Nosler. Nothing wrong with my current barrel other than it's the factory 1-9 twist and I've developed a load that it really likes using Berger 195 EOL. Berger tech told me that the bullet will become unstable somewhere around the 700 yard mark, I can't remember the exact yardage but it was up there somewhere. Wondering if I should increase my barrel length, is there a benefit to a longer barrel, 28"-30", what manufacturers do you guys suggest, right now I'm leaning towards Brux
benchmark for sure. mine shoot .35 moa with 195 burgers or 143 hammer hunters. the hunter is my fave load. have taken big game out to 1046 yds. zebra. blue wildabeast at 787. blesbok at 520. mv is 3560. the berger killed but didnt pass clear through, no blood trail. a must in the tall grass of africa. my 2 cents.

Going to put a new barrel on my Christensen Arms Mesa chambered in .28 Nosler. Nothing wrong with my current barrel other than it's the factory 1-9 twist and I've developed a load that it really likes using Berger 195 EOL. Berger tech told me that the bullet will become unstable somewhere around the 700 yard mark, I can't remember the exact yardage but it was up there somewhere. Wondering if I should increase my barrel length, is there a benefit to a longer barrel, 28"-30", what manufacturers do you guys suggest, right now I'm leaning towards Brux
I forgot, my 28 is rifle rifled one in 8.

I'm really confused. If you have developed a load that your gun really likes then there is absolutely no need to change barrels. In fact, you will be starting over trying to find a new load for your new barrel. Keep the barrel you have unless you just want to practice your reloading.

Don't overlook the less 'bragged about' manufacturers. Lease times are long these days. I've had great results with Kreiger,Brux, PacNor. Waiting on my first Lilja now.