Barrel manufacturers vs gunsmith

I know there are lucky people out there, who are blessed IMO.
That's not me. I am cursed to wade through every human problem there ever has been..

An issue brought here couple days ago[PIC] really is the kind of matter I've come to expect from those doing MY gun work.
The only way I've found to get around it, about half the time, is to seek those who are good at their thing, and that's ONLY what they do.
No more jack of all trades, who take on any and every bit of my work like it's a piece of cake,,, and then lie, and lie, and delay and delay, and screw the whole thing up in the end. I'm sure there are others here who can relate to it.
View attachment 311491
I've saw my fair share of that sort of thing. It's happens way too often. Anyone can make a mistake but far too often they don't want to make good on the mistake.

That's not me. I am cursed to wade through every human problem there ever has been..

An issue brought here couple days ago[PIC] really is the kind of matter I've come to expect from those doing MY gun work.
The only way I've found to get around it, about half the time, is to seek those who are good at their thing, and that's ONLY what they do.
No more jack of all trades, who take on any and every bit of my work like it's a piece of cake,,, and then lie, and lie, and delay and delay, and screw the whole thing up in the end. I'm sure there are others here who can relate to it.
View attachment 311491
How did that barrel shoot? I'm starting to believe that a bore scope is something that isn't good for everyone to have (myself included, at times).

OP - Bartlien will build you a great gun, be patient and congrats. I'm not a prefit fan but I also do my own barrels.

View attachment 311491
If it's humanly possible to screw something up, someone, somewhere, will find the way to do it.

How did that barrel shoot?
It's not my barrel. It was posted by another member. A barrel chambered from a major barrel maker.
I brought it here as an example of my kind of curse.

And, my curse never ends with single events, as it truly takes 3 strikes to cause an event.
So if that was my barrel, and I mentioned the problem to the barrel maker, I would NOT get "wow, sorry for the problem, we'll find out what's going on and get you a good barrel in the mail right away". No, what I would get is "how does the barrel shoot?", and being a nice guy I might venture to find out. But then, I already know it's coming, I'll end up trekking through their various levels of purepoormanship..
I would have known it was coming because they lacked concern about their own quality, and tried working around accountability to begin.
That's what incompetent people do.

I have had rifles come in my shop that have been chambered by the barrel manufacturer. I have yet to see a concentric throat in one . Most throats I borescoped were crooked as a do it yourself haircut.

I'm not knocking barrel manufacturers machining skills. The top barrel makers do a great job manufacturing barrels. That's what they specialize in. We all have our specialties.

My suggestion with 28 years in this business is,
Choose one of the top barrel and Action manufacturers for your next build, Then choose a good Riflesmith to do the machining . A good Riflesmith is going to take the time to make sure you get a concentric chamber in your new barrel. You'll be glad you did. He has his own business and every barrel that leaves his shop has his name on it. You won't stay in business very long doing subpar work. You get what you pay for in this business.

Richard Hilts
Hilts Accuracy Custom Rifles
www.hiltscustomrifles.com

Bartlein is imo one of the only barrel maker I would trust to do it. They do an awful lot of testing for ammo companies, I have to imagine that has something to do with them wasting time chambering barrels.
They go through a lot of barrels doing that and it would make sense for them to do it and do it right in house.

It's not my barrel. It was posted by another member. A barrel chambered from a major barrel maker.
I brought it here as an example of my kind of curse.

And, my curse never ends with single events, as it truly takes 3 strikes to cause an event.
So if that was my barrel, and I mentioned the problem to the barrel maker, I would NOT get "wow, sorry for the problem, we'll find out what's going on and get you a good barrel in the mail right away". No, what I would get is "how does the barrel shoot?", and being a nice guy I might venture to find out. But then, I already know it's coming, I'll end up trekking through their various levels of purepoormanship..
I would have known it was coming because they lacked concern about their own quality, and tried working around accountability to begin.
That's what incompetent people do.
Sorry you get that sort of treatment, might be that you get what you give.

I asked a simple question in an attempt to learn and see what the impacts were on accuracy. It's amazing if you open your mind the things you can learn.

I've seen some crazy stuff…threads so loose I was shocked it would tighten up, crooked crowns, scratched bores from lapping/cleaning, etc. Each had varying degrees of accuracy impacts but that's one I hadn't seen and was curious as to the impact, if any.

I'm not a gunsmith but if I were, I would not chamber anything & everything. I would be highly discriminating about what cartridges I would build for.
Will work for some customers others will still want the odd or unique.

But if you just do hot cartridges and barrel burners you will have repeat customers lining up as they burn them out.