Barrel manufacturers vs gunsmith

I would suggest in general that there is no telling who would do better for you.
So there is no suggestion.
But Coyote must have experience with Bartlein.
So it seems.
Also in general, I don't like either but would prefer a top gunbuilder instead.
Gunbuilders, Hmm.
The difference is that a gunbuilder will only go with a sound design, regardless of what a customer 'wants'.
These dudes sound legit!
A gunsmith would just do whatever you (and everybody else) asks for,
So these dude are like jiffy lube of guns. Roger.
and I have no idea why a barrelmaker would waste time on gun building.
I'd bet they know what's up. Too.
I doubt either would be efficient, as they're likely backed up with work.
Welps, lets just scuttle the project then!

I would have no issues sending an action to Bartlein to chamber one of their barrels. Show off your rifle when you get it!
Ditto, and you know they will hand pick a barrel out of their stock for sure, and it will be looked over very carefully. I'd be rather pumped to be having them do the work. Are you upgrading the barrel lug, maybe I missed that?

Sounds like a solid plan. Smithing isn't that complicated but clearly you can mess things up badly if you are using a dremel, file, and tap set. In this case, I would confidence in the end result and no anxiety. I also have zero anxiety with Pre-fits. I have only had 1 issue over many years garage smithing rifle builds with a pre-fit. It was odd but I got it sorted out

Ditto, and you know they will hand pick a barrel out of their stock for sure, and it will be looked over very carefully. I'd be rather pumped to be having them do the work. Are you upgrading the barrel lug, maybe I missed that?
I'm pretty sure Bartlein doesn't have every contour barrel "in stock". They make 'um when ordered, and they have a substantial lead time. As a matter of fact, their web site currently shows a 6-12 month lead time from the time the order is placed. Can't help but wonder what the lead time might be for "build".

I'm pretty sure Bartlein doesn't have every contour barrel "in stock". They make 'um when ordered, and they have a substantial lead time. As a matter of fact, their web site currently shows a 6-12 month lead time from the time the order is placed. Can't help but wonder what the lead time might be for "build".
6-12 months is about the norm wait time in most cases for a Smith to build as well. I'm sure the OP isn't to concerned with lead time since he's getting it next week. My point was that I would have no issue with Bartlein doing the work. One of the best barrel makers in the business and they're doing all the Smith work, I like one stop shop if I can get everything I want!

It started out as 4-6 months but then USSOCOM hit them up wanting some barrels so I was put in the back burner they called me and told me and apologized. Which I was okay with I didn't plan on hunting with it this year. And yes I will post photos when it's delivered.

I ran through the order page on Bartleins' web site, just for the heck of it. At the bottom it says 10-12months for a barrel. So, you most likely won't be using it at this time next year, either. I've used plenty of their barrels in the past and I am quit satisfied with them. I do my own 'building'. I've used barrels made by most of the 'major' aftermarket custom barrel makers over the past 30yrs. Only 1 did I abandon because of quality issues. Bartlein will do a good job , I'm sure. But, it won't be any better than a good custom builder/gunsmith can do. The only 'up side' might be the 'one stop shopping' thing.

I ran through the order page on Bartleins' web site, just for the heck of it. At the bottom it says 10-12months for a barrel. So, you most likely won't be using it at this time next year, either. I've used plenty of their barrels in the past and I am quit satisfied with them. I do my own 'building'. I've used barrels made by most of the 'major' aftermarket custom barrel makers over the past 30yrs. Only 1 did I abandon because of quality issues. Bartlein will do a good job , I'm sure. But, it won't be any better than a good custom builder/gunsmith can do. The only 'up side' might be the 'one stop shopping' thing.
I dropped the gun off to them in February and I'm getting it back in the next week or two. They are bedding it now. Yeah I'm having them send me a 6.5mm carbon barrel blank for my next build. Which will be a suppressed 6.5 Saum 20" barrel on an XLR chassis XM action

The difference is that a gunbuilder will only go with a sound design, regardless of what a customer 'wants'.
A gunsmith would just do whatever you (and everybody else) asks for, and I have no idea why a barrelmaker would waste time on gun building.
I doubt either would be efficient, as they're likely backed up with work.
I can't speak to your experience and I don't have a lot with "custom" gunsmith's. I have only used three and all are nothing like you posted. One of them I know well and talk with him often. My experiences are.
1. They will share their beliefs and results if your design they feel is not the best one. If they feel it is unsafe or flat wont work (able to put together) they turn down the work. If a customer insists on the safety issue or wants are so flawed they turn down the work. That has not always been that way but dang sure for the last 10 years or so.
2. Absolutely not true. A quality barrel maker would never "waste" any time. They are making a profit, increasing use base, and greatly increasing their marketing.
3. All depends.....for me....yep they are months out. For some other guys who go to them....they would get **** fast turn around. I'm a nobody on work amount as some are very, very, very, good customers.

I know there are lucky people out there, who are blessed IMO.
That's not me. I am cursed to wade through every human problem there ever has been..

An issue brought here couple days ago[PIC] really is the kind of matter I've come to expect from those doing MY gun work.
The only way I've found to get around it, about half the time, is to seek those who are good at their thing, and that's ONLY what they do.
No more jack of all trades, who take on any and every bit of my work like it's a piece of cake,,, and then lie, and lie, and delay and delay, and screw the whole thing up in the end. I'm sure there are others here who can relate to it.
McGowen work sm.jpeg