Barrel manufacturers vs gunsmith

LR Guru

Formerly '300NM_guru'
So I'm getting my first custom built by my barrel manufacturer(one of the best in the business) I'll be receiving it in the next week. Reading through post I seen a lot of people are saying leave gunsmithing work to the gunsmith. Am I going to regret it? Or is it really not that big of a deal. And I'll still receive a top notch product

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat right now, debating whether to go shouldered prefit or just have a gunsmith spin one up. My issue is patience and gunsmith lead times right now lol

Nice. They're a good company. I thought they were focusing on barrel production and not chambering/fitting barrels these days.

If you send them a GOOD receiver they will do a good fit on the barrel. You can also have Bartlein tune up you receiver before they fit to the barrel.
They are blue printing my 700 action. Side bolt release. Oversized recoil lug. Bedding it to my McMillan stock. There basically doing the whole 9

I would suggest in general that there is no telling who would do better for you.
But Coyote must have experience with Bartlein.

Also in general, I don't like either but would prefer a top gunbuilder instead.
The difference is that a gunbuilder will only go with a sound design, regardless of what a customer 'wants'.
A gunsmith would just do whatever you (and everybody else) asks for, and I have no idea why a barrelmaker would waste time on gun building.
I doubt either would be efficient, as they're likely backed up with work.

A gunsmith would just do whatever you (and everybody else) asks for,
Not this riflesmith, not by a longshot. I dare say, if/when other smiths chime in that they feel the same way.
Example: installing a used barrel... I won't do it, no exceptions. Who do you think the customer will blame if it doesn't shoot??
I have no idea why a barrelmaker would waste time on gun building.
Interesting topic.
Many do- Shilen, McGowen, Shaw, Hart, Bartlein, among others.
Many don't- Proof, Hawk Hill, Krieger,Benchmark, Rock Creek...

From what I see, Bartlein is the only manuf that I consider "top tier" that offers smithing services.
Just a WAG- generally, top tier barrels are purchased mostly by competition shooters and others seeking absolute accuracy regardless of cost. That largely custom demographic is a different and more "demanding" market that is- IMO- more suited to the individual custom riflesmith than a production manufacturer.

I would suggest in general that there is no telling who would do better for you.
But Coyote must have experience with Bartlein.

Also in general, I don't like either but would prefer a top gunbuilder instead.
The difference is that a gunbuilder will only go with a sound design, regardless of what a customer 'wants'.
A gunsmith would just do whatever you (and everybody else) asks for, and I have no idea why a barrelmaker would waste time on gun building.
I doubt either would be efficient, as they're likely backed up with work.
I'm not a gunsmith but if I were, I would not chamber anything & everything. I would be highly discriminating about what cartridges I would build for.