gunsmith or manufactured custom

mark308

hope this is in the right spot for this. I'm wanting to "build" a semi-custom rifle. a 300rum.gun) I have been looking at a montana barrelled action, a gunsmith agreed about the action but was not to positive about using there barrel. but the price of a barrelled action by them seems a good price. my question is should I buy the barreled action by montana rifle co. and just finish it with a stock, or should I let the gunsmith do it all? thanks for any input. I will keep reading all these great post on this forum. I'm learning alot.:)

I only know of about 6 actions that were used on custom build from them and they all need to be blueprinted. I have also heard that their barrels are on the same quality level as ER Shaw and typical factroy tubes.

If your going through the expense of having a smith build you a rifle then you may as well save a little longer and go with better parts. A good top end barrel will shoot very well even out of a bone stock action where a poor barrel will never shoot even if screwed to a $1300 Bat action.

You can find Remington PSS and Sendero rifles in 300 RUM for sale for under $1000 all over , one of these guns will shoot great and will make an awsome base if you to rebarrel later.

I had Montana Rifleman build me a barreled action about two years ago. They had a sale on WSM barreled actions, and I got a blued version for about $800. I got it in 270wsm. The gun will consistantly shoot .5-.75" groups. Which is pretty accurate, but out of a custom setup, I might want a little better. This is the first "custom" barrel I had ever had, so I really don't have much experiance. However, I find the barrel very difficult to clean. It collects a lot of copper, almost as much as my other factory rifles. It is my impression that a custom barrel should be easier to clean than this. I think the action is great and super strong. I put the rifle in a Accurate Innovations laminated wood stock for about $400. If I had it to do again, I don't think I would go with them. At least I would not use there barrels. Maybe their action.

I am now building a custom 7mm STW off of a used remington donor action with a Broughton 5C barrel. I expect to get .25 to .5" accuracy and a lot better cleaning. I have $300 in the donor gun, $350 in the barrel, and about $500 in gunsmith fees for blue-printing, and installing a SAKO extractor. It is a little more than the barreled action from MT Rifleman, but I am sure I will get better results. The other thing to keep in mind is you can get a new custom action like a Stiller Predator that might not even need blue-printing for about the same cost that I have in my donor action and gunsmihing......

Just my $.02

Joel

Joel , I don't know who your smith is but I'm certain that your barrel will be alot easier to clean , your gonna be amazed.

Typicaly if your reloading skills are good you should be able to get a well built gun to shoot under .5" easly with several loads

I'm at the same stage as you, just about ready to make my choices for my new rifle. For my choice, I've decided to go with one of the Rem. 700 clone custom actions, either a Stiller Predator, Lawton 7000, or Borden Alpine or Rimrock SSR, and get the barrel separately. Still undecided there, but I've narrowed it down to either a Hart SS or a Broughton 5C, leaning towards the Broughton. Haven't decided yet on who will build it for me.

I cringe every time some one says they are gonna get a montana barreled action.. My buddy got one in 338 RUM. it took almost 2 years and when he got it it would not chamber a round... he had to have a local smith work on it some more.

Their customer service sucks to put it mildly.

There are much better options out there in my opinion.

Several years ago i ordered a barreled action from Montana Rifleman in 300wsm,it took almost two years before i got it.Wayne York at Beaver Creek gun shop built the stock and bedded for me,he did a great job.Wayne had the barreled action for about two months and was great to work with.I wish i could say the same about MRC.I spent countless hours cleaning and trying to get it to shoot,the best i get out of it M.o.a.(1''@100).One day while cleaning it i decided to check the rate of twist,the first try i came up with 1-9'',i thought this can't be, i order a 1-10",so i double checked it and got 1-9" again.I went back and checked my order form to make sure, and i in fact ordered a 1-10.I sent them a email explaining the problem and got no response.They have made no attempt to resolve this problem.

In the mean time i ordered a 7wsm built on a Stiller Predator from Chris Mathews at Longshot rifles,he used a Broughton 5c.Its a great shooting rifle,and cleans easy.I'm very happy with it.

My advice to you is stay away from MRC and go with a good action and barrel.

Last edited:
Mark

As usual I totaly agree with James on this one.

Buy a sendero and shoot it and if it doesent shoot well enough
to suit you then have your gunsmith blue print and screw a
custom barrel on it.

I recomend using a select match stainless barrel like the Lilja or Shillen
or any other TOP brand with very close exceptance tolerances.

This is not the place to save money. The difference in cost from a mill
run barrel and a top quality stainless hand laped is only about a hundred
bucks.

As I have said before I use only the best barrels because of my 1/2 MOA
guarantee and have never had one that would'nt beat a half minute of
angle.

Work with your smith and you will be happy with the results.

Good luck
J E CUSTOM

thanks for the replys. I'm still looking around for a gunsmith in north idaho or eastern washington area. I have only talked to two sofar. just starting this proscess, you guys have helped alot. I will keep saving my money. If I didnt have my racecar I guess I could afford more guns. ;)

Barrels for custom rifle...

First you get what you pay for, period. There is a reasons BR shooters shoot the barrels they shoot. I have not seen any MRC barrels listed on the winners data sheets. I do see Brougthon, Krieger, RockCreek, Lilja, Hart, and others. The same goes for long range smiths, they are listed too, and for a reason.
Nat Lambeth

If I'm not mistaken shawn Carlock is in north Idaho ? Rathdrum I believe , he turns out som impressive guns as can be seen here from time to time , hes also the inventor of the beloved 338 Edge. H has a link to his web site listed in his signature box

I personaly don't mind sending my guns out of town for quality work , I have a world class rifle builder and hall of fame bench rest shooter only 50 min from my home but he stays pertty jammed up building target rifles and was told that he doesen't take any new customers , but i managed to get him to barrel up my M-7 for the new F-class rig.

I have had a good bit of work done by Nathen Dagley (308nate) from Strait Shot Gunsmithing and have been more than pleased.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.