Barrel Length

Not to change the subject but what are your thoughts on Brux barrels?
Go with a sendero taper, or maybe as light as the #5 or #6 Lilja contour and you'll be a lot happier in the end. Also go with at least 26-28" so as to maximize velocity without pushing pressures.

Also I'd say go with a 1:9 or 1:9.5 twist so you can shoot the heavier VLD's. You'll need a little tighter twist with the .300 NM than you would with a 300 Rum or 30/378 to stabilize the longer/heavier VLD's since your velocities will be a bit lower. Remember spin or RPM is a function of both twist rate and velocity.

As for barrels, I'd recommend Lilja, Benchmark, and Krieger over Shilen and certainly over Douglas. I've known of a lot of people that ended up terribly disappointed in Douglas barrels.

Not to change the subject but what are your thoughts on Brux barrels?
I haven't used any of theirs but I hear absolutely nothing but great things about them from everyone that has tried them.

We are so blessed these days with having a half dozen or more absolutely top barrel makers where as not so many years ago you really only had 2 or 3.

Brux is virtually identical to kreiger, the are made by a former machinist that left kreiger only to do his own thing. I have yet to hear a bad thing about them. I just like to steer clear of shilen, green mountain, adams and bennet, shaw, and would only get a douglas if the price was dirt cheap or called stanley taylor and had him personally pick it out, gauge it, and lapp it.

If you are looking at a short barrel consider the 300 wsm which will shoot virtually equal to the 308 norma in a short barrel. I would also bring it out to 24". The 300 wsm is overall a better choice with your specs for several reasons. With the super high BC 208 Amax you would have a tack driver.

This wouldn't be a bad idea! lightbulb

Yep the 300 wsm will out perform the 308nm in every configuration considering equal throat lengths. There powder capacities are very close, but the short fat case takes the lead. It will reach higher velocities with a faster powder, and less of it. I can push a 208 amax from a 24" barreled 300wsm over 2900 with hybrid 100v, even though accuracy hits best at 2860, but with that much bullet, I'm sure none of the whitetail hit with it new it was going 50fps slower!

26" minimum barrel length. 28" preferred in a Sendaro profile. If i'm going to carry a big steel barrel, I want it longer rather than stubby for the little extra velocity. As for brand, I'm partial to Hart.

I bought a Douglas barrel a while back for a M1 and was not thrilled. The Douglas did not shoot any better than the Military issued S/A barrel.

my .02

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.