Barrel length question

If I buy one of the brand rifles I mentioned earlier, how would I add extra free bore? Or do I need to do a custom build?
I'm pretty new to all this. I ve only been shooting and hunting for about 18 months but I am reloading. I live in Florida so this firepower is over kill for down here. This would be a once a year hunting trip if things go well so I'm trying not to over complicate things. I don't expect to take a shot over 500 yds but on the other hand I d hate to limit myself. One thing I m certain of is that 300 win or WSM or prc is about as much recoil as I'm interested in "enjoying".

Although I love the idea of custom rifles, there are many "off the shelf" rifles available today that give you all the accuracy you need to shoot 700 yards with a 300 WM or 300 Weatherby. I've never shot a Sako that wasn't accurate enough for a 700 yard shot — if the shooter was up to it. Browning & Savage rifles also tend to be VERY accurate out of the box.

Recoil is much more than a function of cartridge. The weight, length, and configuration of the stock have HUGE impact on felt recoil. I have a Rem SPS stainless in .270 WSM that kicks harder (felt recoil) than my .300 Weatherby or even my .338/.378 Weatherby. That .270WSM will get a brake. If you don't like recoil, or have a chance to shoot enough to learn to handle it well, DO NOT buy an ultra-light "mountain rifle" — unless you are going to be hunting mountain goats in the near future.

.300 Win., .300 Weatherby, and .338 Win don't kick hard in full sized rifles. The only time they are at all "punishing" is in LIGHT rifles, especially when practicing on a bench. (I can't speak to .300 WSM as I've never shot one, but it should be very similar.)

You didn't mention your financial situation, so it's hard for me to recommend new or used rifles, but I bought most of my firearms used — and saved a fortune! It's worth considering. I do recommend shooting others' rifles before you make this decision. You may change directions abruptly once you try a few different rifles. If you lived closer I would offer you some range time. When I lived in Florida I found ranges to shoot at. People at those ranges should be able to loan you guns to fire a few rounds through so you know what each feels like.

Good luck!

I had this same question several years ago. I bought multiple 30 caliber rifles and hunted with all of them trying to figure out my preference. I was surprised by what became my go-to and probably favorite hunting rifle. I had a custom Rifles Inc 300 WBY with a 26" barrel and break made. Then I bought a Fierce Carbon Edge in 30 Nosler with a 26" carbon wrapped barrel and a Sako 300 WM with a 24" SS barrel. I played with them all but didn't fall in love with any of these rifles. Then, a couple years ago I was at my daughters dance competition in the big city and I was painfully bored. I found an hour to skip out and go to the gun store. They had a Fierce CT EDGE in 300 WSM with a 24" carbon wrapped barrel and titanium action that weighed 6 LBS that I almost did not buy because I was not impressed with the cartridge. Well, now that I have killed several large mule deer, an elk, and an Oryx with it, I have a hard time hunting with any other rifle (even my sub 30 cals). I have a moose hunt planned to BC next year and this is the gun I am planning to take. The short action and the 24" barrel are incredibly handy and coming in under 8 LBS with a scope is great for putting some miles on your boots. Don't overlook the 300WSM- it has plenty of punch for large game with the right load and premium bullets.
Ultimately, I think it comes down to personal preference and what I love may not be what you love. But, I have probably 20 hunting rifles that are medium to high end rifles and its saying a lot that this one has risen to the top for me.

I was just in the gun store handling a Christensen Arms Ridgeline. I wouldn't hesitate one second buying a 300wm for hunting in wooded areas. Very nice looking rifle for the money.

I have a 300 mag Weatherby mark 5 Nice gun
No brake. It kicks like a mule
I'm selling it if you are interested

They are very nice rifles; have you considered a muzzle brake install? There are plenty of effective muzzle brakes out in the market that can tame that beast. I have a .30 LARA with a 27" barrel with a muzzle brake/suppressor that I can shoot a factory .300 WBTY ammo in a pinch.

.300 WBTY vs .30 LARA.jpg

They are very nice rifles; have you considered a muzzle brake install? There are plenty of effective muzzle brakes out in the market that can tame that beast. I have a .30 LARA with a 27" barrel with a muzzle brake/suppressor that I can shoot a factory .300 WBTY ammo in a pinch.

View attachment 142852

I was considering that but a friend had one threaded and installed a brake. When I shot it, the recoil got my attention. Maybe a bad brake?

OP , that rifles inc 300 Roy you had was cutting edge back then , no doubt it would be Coveted by many this day , but we evolve and that's ok too , your answers are sound ,as are Many answers given back as usual ,good luck keep it fun ! Cheers !

Unless you truly intend to focus on long range...600 yards plus...you will not notice a meaningful difference in performance 24 vs 26 in. Run the numbers. My first long range rifle was a 300WM with a 26in barrel. Now I have a 338 Edge with a 30" barrel. So as soon as I toast the barrel on my 300WM it will get rebarreled to 24" in a lighter contour as a more packable rifle. If I want to shoot 600 yards plus I'll carry the 14.5lb 338. If I plan on more general hunting I can make a much lighter 300WM, which can be shot unbraked.

If you must have one rifle to do everything I'd stick with a 26" barrel. Otherwise, except at long ranges, you aren't giving up that much from a practical perspective.

OP , that rifles inc 300 Roy you had was cutting edge back then , no doubt it would be Coveted by many this day , but we evolve and that's ok too , your answers are sound ,as are Many answers given back as usual ,good luck keep it fun ! Cheers !

I like Weatherby rifles and have several older ones. They have history and are very pretty wood rifles. The Weatherby rifles run with high pressures so they have a " jump" from the ojive to the lands. From what Ive read that introduces some inaccuracy and most people are trying to get the ojive within 20 thousands of the lands to improve alignment and accuracy. Finding a good gunsmith in Florida is challenging-Guys here shoot pistols and ARs mostly. My buddy had his 300 Braked but it still kicked pretty good, but possibly the brake used wasnt the best choice. Knowing that and considering the cost of installing a brake I figured I'd just get a round and rifle that was more "user friendly" and sell the Weatherby 300 Magnum

I've owned a 300 Bee ,In a Vangard blued /snth 24 inch ,great quality for price , my best reloads hovered around 3/4 to 1 inch,made over 130 hand loads for it ,& only changed out factory trigger n never glassed or piller bed it , that would help also , had a friend make a homemade brake it worked but a better brake is always worth it . Cheers !

I had this same question several years ago. I bought multiple 30 caliber rifles and hunted with all of them trying to figure out my preference. I was surprised by what became my go-to and probably favorite hunting rifle. I had a custom Rifles Inc 300 WBY with a 26" barrel and break made. Then I bought a Fierce Carbon Edge in 30 Nosler with a 26" carbon wrapped barrel and a Sako 300 WM with a 24" SS barrel. I played with them all but didn't fall in love with any of these rifles. Then, a couple years ago I was at my daughters dance competition in the big city and I was painfully bored. I found an hour to skip out and go to the gun store. They had a Fierce CT EDGE in 300 WSM with a 24" carbon wrapped barrel and titanium action that weighed 6 LBS that I almost did not buy because I was not impressed with the cartridge. Well, now that I have killed several large mule deer, an elk, and an Oryx with it, I have a hard time hunting with any other rifle (even my sub 30 cals). I have a moose hunt planned to BC next year and this is the gun I am planning to take. The short action and the 24" barrel are incredibly handy and coming in under 8 LBS with a scope is great for putting some miles on your boots. Don't overlook the 300WSM- it has plenty of punch for large game with the right load and premium bullets.
Ultimately, I think it comes down to personal preference and what I love may not be what you love. But, I have probably 20 hunting rifles that are medium to high end rifles and its saying a lot that this one has risen to the top for me.

Ive been looking at the Fierce rifles. They seem like excellent quality and very good value Trying to understand what enhancements you get from Fury to Edge and from stainless to carbon. The CT Edge is a bit spendy- do you think the titanium action and carbon barrel are no brainers or more just an expensive option? How manageable is the recoil in that light rifle?
Any chambering issues with that WSM?

Ive been looking at the Fierce rifles. They seem like excellent quality and very good value Trying to understand what enhancements you get from Fury to Edge and from stainless to carbon. The CT Edge is a bit spendy- do you think the titanium action and carbon barrel are no brainers or more just an expensive option? How manageable is the recoil in that light rifle?
Any chambering issues with that WSM?

I can say Fierce rifles are EXCELLENT quality and value. Customer service is not on par with their rifles but definitely a very good product and value.

The only difference you get from Fury to Edge is the Edge has fluted bolt and barrel and a special coating on the bolt where the Fury is just a polished bolt.These should not affect the accuracy guarantee of .5MOA at all. Just reduce the price-point of the rifle a bit.

The Titanium action vs steel actions saves not quite a half a pound. Just a more expensive option. I have two CT Edges and one Carbon Edge and definitely not a huge difference but it is noticeable. My purpose for the titanium was to offset suppressor weight. Recoils is very manageable with the Fierce muzzle break. I shoot all of these rifles suppressed so recoil is not an issue. I have shot the 300WSM CT Edge with a 180gr handload without a break or suppressor off of bags for initial load development and while it wasn't overbearing, it was about the max I want out of recoil in a hunting rifle.

The CT Edge is spendy but the next step is a PROOF Research rifle and then you're getting in the $6000 range. I think my next rifle will be the Proof Terminus or Summit?

ZERO chambering issues with the 300WSM.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.