308 Barrel Length question.

MONTADO76

I have a Rem. 700 SPS Varmint in 308 with a 26" bbl. 1 in 12 twist, with a Witt clamp on brake. I am wanting to go shorter for packing around. This rifle shoots under moa with 155 and 168 grain bullets. Thinking of going 20" with a 2" brake. I'm not really concerned with the 168's, but is this long enough to get the 155's up to speed, or do I need at least 24"? Any input would be appreciated.

I have a 26", 2 20"ers, and a 16" The 16" is my favorite because I don't seem to loose a lot of speed and its is really nice that short. Another guy here has one like mine and loves the 155s of anything else. He gets 2775fps from a sierra 155 palma with no pressure signs. I am getting 2550 from southwest ammo 175s which is like 175 fgmm. I get 2650 from my handload with 175s. Longer and shorter both have their place but with a 308 I kept going short and liking it even more. Now with other cartridges I have been doing the same thing and finding big performance differences as I go shorter. THe 308.....not so much. Hope this helps.

BTW, both our bbls are Bartlien 1-10 twist.

I have a 26", 2 20"ers, and a 16" The 16" is my favorite because I don't seem to loose a lot of speed and its is really nice that short. Another guy here has one like mine and loves the 155s of anything else. He gets 2775fps from a sierra 155 palma with no pressure signs. I am getting 2550 from southwest ammo 175s which is like 175 fgmm. I get 2650 from my handload with 175s. Longer and shorter both have their place but with a 308 I kept going short and liking it even more. Now with other cartridges I have been doing the same thing and finding big performance differences as I go shorter. THe 308.....not so much. Hope this helps.

BTW, both our bbls are Bartlien 1-10 twist.

Interesting. I wonder if this would apply to other calibers that share the 308 case. I have been wondering about barrel length for a 243 I want to build for my wife. If this case design is inherently suited to a shorter barrel that would be helpful. Do you happen to have experience with other calibers sharing this case?

Here is a good 308 article in general and if you look at the lower part of the article they give velocity data for different length barrels.
.308 Winchester Cartridge Guide Looks like with both loads, going from 26 to 20" was about a 24fps per inch loss in that case.
Here is an article about short barrels but more fitting for someone going 600 or so:
file:///C:/Users/Dell/Desktop/SWAT%20Article%20BARREL%20LENGTH.htm

Yes, the 308 does very well with short tubes, it is a modest case for the bore size. but just looking at getting to 800-1000 yards the extra velocity helps. To each his own but I have a 5R with a 24" & I like a short lite 308 for tree stand/thicket hunting so I bought a RAR and shortened that to 18.5, a cheap rifle that shoots 1/2-3/4" regular, not a 5R but great hunting rifle. 2 Rifles was the best solution for me.

That's Krylon camo.

Before I paint, I spray/wipe/dry with windex or ammonia/water mix to degrease. The paint holds pretty well when the metal is clean.

The barrel itself is a matte finish (700 SPS Varmint) , so that little roughness of the metal surface probably helps hold the paint too.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts