Barrel length question

I've always been biased toward longer barrels. Why? I'd like to offer a better explanation for that than Robert Meuller would, but I'm not sure I have one. For me, I think it's because I've always dual-purposed my rifles as deer/Varmint rigs. I figure I'll use 'em stalking and I'll use 'em prone. When I got my Cooper Custom Classic in .243, I opted for a 24" bbl for this purpose and it fits the bill nicely (and looks good doing it). I do believe however, that some cartridges are better served with a longer barrel but some factory offerings seem to offer standard cartridges in barrels that are too short. I don't think a .25-06 should have a 22" bbl., for example. I'm sorry, I just don't.

Anyway, I do have rifles with 26" barrels too but I still think 24" is the best compromise (for me).

OP, you are asking good questions. At this stage, I would not make a complexity out of it. 500 yards is one heck of a long way. If 24" will suffice, it seems like the best compromise to me. That gives you the extra 2" to accommodate a brake if you want without having the thing be a mile long.

I'll admit that I too have spent too much time obsessing over all these shooting scenarios I could get myself into and whether or not 2-4" of bore is going to make or break the shot. 99 times out of 100 it won't.

17B65439-4447-4F0F-A133-103F84F28B08.jpeg

FB43C798-D6D5-4034-B2AB-8B8A9F4BCE74.jpeg

I just finished building a 300PRC. Shoots great with 26" Proof barrel. I've never shot or owned a 30 Nosler. From everything I've read it's a great cartridge but it's also a barrel burner. Some barrel makers claim only 800-900 rounds guaranteed from their barrels. Im only shooting factory ammo for now but am looking forward to handloading for it this weekend. Im thinking it's going to be very easy to load for. The PRC is also not a belted magnum cartridge.

Last edited:
. From everything I've read it's a great cartridge but it's also a barrel burner.
Dont believe everything you've read about the 30 Nosler being a barrel burner. The PRC and Nosler case capacity are really close so why would barrel life be any different.

regarding barrel length I also woodcock and grouse hunt. Think fast flying birds which change direction on a dime in woods so thick you can fall and not hit the ground. I don't have a shotgun with a barrel shorter the 26.5" and that's because they balance and swing better than stubby 22" & 24" barrels. Of the times my gun has hung up on a tree it is almost never the last 2". I don't believe you will ever regret owning a well made and balanced rifle with a 26" barrel

You are going for a magnum .30 caliber cartridge so to get the most velocity get a 26" barrel (bare barrel W/O brake).

OR you can get a 24" barrel as I did with my 6.5 PRC and lose only about 50 -75 fps.
and have a handier rifle.

Eric B.

Im looking at a 30 cal magnum caliber, either 300 Win Mag, 300 PRC or 300 WSM for hunting elk and moose. Considering Seekins , Fierce and Christensen arms but if I found another better choice it would be an option. Seekins makes a 24 in barrel but the others are 26 inches in 30 cal mags with Fierce making a 24 in 300 WSM. Most of my current rifles are 24 in barrels and many of the rifles I'm considering are 26 inches without and 28 inches with a brake. The 300 WSM is my least preferred option but does have a more compact rifle with a 24 inch barrel. I'm concerned that a 4 inch longer barrel might be cumbersome to carry and shoot in wooded areas but maybe I'm worrying about something that isn't that big a deal. Is there a reason other than increased projectile velocity to go with a longer barrel? Interested in your thoughts an experience. Thanks in advance

1) Although not often discussed, one of the advantages of a longer barrel is reduced felt recoil as the added length reduces barrel rise the same way an ice-skater stretching out her arms reduces spin.

2) I would be shocked to to see a 30" barrel cumbersome in actual elk hunting situations unless you are sitting in a very small box blind.

3) If I was building a rifle specifically for elk & moose it would be at least .338. Yes, a .25-06 will quickly kill either with a perfect shot, but these are BIG animals and shots are not always perfect.

4) Hunting with a brake means hunting with ear protection. I would rather have a slightly heavier rifle to absorb recoil so I don't need to hunt with earplugs and will be able to hear game well.

Dont believe everything you've read about the 30 Nosler being a barrel burner. The PRC and Nosler case capacity are really close so why would barrel life be any different.

I have no idea why but it would be a great question for Krieger and Bartlein, if I'm not mistaken they are the barrel makers in question that have posted about the caliber.

You sure it's not the 28.
I would like to see the comments about that.
Post a link if you can or tell me where you found it.
Theres alot of factors that has to do with barrel life.

To me at least, there is a noticeable difference in muzzle blast on a long action magnum between a 24" and a 26" barrel. If that matters any and you don't plan to add a brake.

I guess it depends on intended use. If you walk bush a lot that extra 2 inches is a pain. If you don't, not such a big deal. In my situation I carry a lot more than shoot so a quick pointing light rifle is much nicer at the end of the day.

Im looking at a 30 cal magnum caliber, either 300 Win Mag, 300 PRC or 300 WSM for hunting elk and moose. Considering Seekins , Fierce and Christensen arms but if I found another better choice it would be an option. Seekins makes a 24 in barrel but the others are 26 inches in 30 cal mags with Fierce making a 24 in 300 WSM. Most of my current rifles are 24 in barrels and many of the rifles I'm considering are 26 inches without and 28 inches with a brake. The 300 WSM is my least preferred option but does have a more compact rifle with a 24 inch barrel. I'm concerned that a 4 inch longer barrel might be cumbersome to carry and shoot in wooded areas but maybe I'm worrying about something that isn't that big a deal. Is there a reason other than increased projectile velocity to go with a longer barrel? Interested in your thoughts an experience. Thanks in advance
I have a sako 300 wsm that has taken one shot kills on both moose and elk and is very efficient with nosler accubonds sighted in at 200 yards

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.