Barrel length question

NeedForSpeed

Im looking at a 30 cal magnum caliber, either 300 Win Mag, 300 PRC or 300 WSM for hunting elk and moose. Considering Seekins , Fierce and Christensen arms but if I found another better choice it would be an option. Seekins makes a 24 in barrel but the others are 26 inches in 30 cal mags with Fierce making a 24 in 300 WSM. Most of my current rifles are 24 in barrels and many of the rifles I'm considering are 26 inches without and 28 inches with a brake. The 300 WSM is my least preferred option but does have a more compact rifle with a 24 inch barrel. I'm concerned that a 4 inch longer barrel might be cumbersome to carry and shoot in wooded areas but maybe I'm worrying about something that isn't that big a deal. Is there a reason other than increased projectile velocity to go with a longer barrel? Interested in your thoughts an experience. Thanks in advance

Im looking at a 30 cal magnum caliber, either 300 Win Mag, 300 PRC or 300 WSM for hunting elk and moose. Considering Seekins , Fierce and Christensen arms but if I found another better choice it would be an option. Seekins makes a 24 in barrel but the others are 26 inches in 30 cal mags with Fierce making a 24 in 300 WSM. Most of my current rifles are 24 in barrels and many of the rifles I'm considering are 26 inches without and 28 inches with a brake. The 300 WSM is my least preferred option but does have a more compact rifle with a 24 inch barrel. I'm concerned that a 4 inch longer barrel might be cumbersome to carry and shoot in wooded areas but maybe I'm worrying about something that isn't that big a deal. Is there a reason other than increased projectile velocity to go with a longer barrel? Interested in your thoughts an experience. Thanks in advance

All the concerns you noted boils down to personal preference. The idea of having the longer barrel is more velocity (~25-30 FPS an inch) and you can shorten it later if it does not work put for you but not the other way around. My longest barrel that drag up the mountains of Montana is a 30" barrel (.270 AI) + muzzle. It is what additional weight and length you are willing and able to carry. Having said that, I a harvested a Montana bull elk at 931 yards with a 24" barrel in .300 WM. My other 2 .300 WMs are also has 24" barrels. Also have a .300 WSM in 24". Good luck!

Last edited:
All the concerns you noted boils down to personal preference. The idea of having the longer barrel is more visibility (~25-30 FPS an inch) and you can shorten it later if it does not work put for you but not the other way around. My longest barrel that drag up the mountains of Montana is a 30" barrel (.270 AI) + muzzle. It is what additional weight and length you are willing and able to carry. Having said that, I a harvested a Montana bull elk at 931 yards with a 24" barrel in .300 WM. My other 2 .300 WMs are also has 24" barrels. Also have a .300 WSM in 24". Good luck!

How easy is it to shorten a threaded 26 in carbon wrapped stainless barrel to 24 inches and re thread the tip? Is it typically an expensive proposition?

How easy is it to shorten a threaded 26 in carbon wrapped stainless barrel to 24 inches and re thread the tip? Is it typically an expensive proposition?

That would be different; make sure you decide on the right length. For a non-carbon wrapped barrel. Cost depends on gunsmith's hourly rate/min. set-up charge. My gunsmith charges $100 to thread the muzzle.

Last edited:
Normally Carbon wrapped barrels Are made to a specific length and It is not advisable to shorten them. If you go with the short action cartridge, use the 24" barrel for compactness. If you want a long action and cartridge the 24" will/would still be handy with the 26" barrel My second choice.

If you install a muzzle brake, A 24" barrel would be best in ether cartridge in my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

Normally Carbon wrapped barrels Are made to a specific length and It is not advisable to shorten them. If you go with the short action cartridge, use the 24" barrel for compactness. If you want a long action and cartridge the 24" will/would still be handy with the 26" barrel My second choice.

If you install a muzzle brake, A 24" barrel would be best in ether cartridge in my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

I plan to put a brake on it so the 26 would be 28 inches. Thanks!

J E CUSTOM
Shame I believe both Fierce Edge and Christensen Ridge are 26 without a brake

Shot distance will play a role as well. There's no doubt shorter barrels are handier. They are also slower. BUT if you're shooting 500 or less, the loss of fps is a non factor.
If you want full potential out of a 300 wm or the like, 26" or more is the way to go.
I'd be more concerned about the chamber throating and coal limitations. These will affect your bullet options.
If I were in your shoes, I'd take a hard look at the 30 nosler with the corrected freebore. But I shoot a 300 wm that is super accurate and launches a 215 Berger @2905 fps. Not getting rid of it anytime soon.

Shot distance will play a role as well. There's no doubt shorter barrels are handier. They are also slower. BUT if you're shooting 500 or less, the loss of fps is a non factor.
If you want full potential out of a 300 wm or the like, 26" or more is the way to go.
I'd be more concerned about the chamber throating and coal limitations. These will affect your bullet options.
If I were in your shoes, I'd take a hard look at the 30 nosler with the corrected freebore. But I shoot a 300 wm that is super accurate and launches a 215 Berger @2905 fps. Not getting rid of it anytime soon.

Are you loading your own for the 300 win mag? If so what rifle and how are you limited? Would you consider 300 prc vs Nosler 30?

Are you loading your own for the 300 win mag? If so what rifle and how are you limited? Would you consider 300 prc vs Nosler 30?

Yes, I load my own ammo for the 300 wm. You could buy the abm 215 Berger ammo if you don't reload.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...15-grain-berger-match-hybrid-target-box-of-20
My rifle is a semi custom 700 + 26" barrel. I'm not limited with COAL anymore due to the wyatt's box extender. But factory remingtons are 3.6". Many dbm are shorter than this.

I'd take a 30 nosler over the 300 prc, if you add some extra freebore to the nosler.
In general, the 30 cal mags all have enough KO power to cleanly kill large game. IMO the case only holds powder and a bullet. The more powder capacity, the more potential to push bullets faster. The 300 rum has the most potential from a common chamber perspective.
But the application matters because at 500 yards no animal will know the difference between the 30-378 weatherby and a 300 wsm. And there's no free lunch, so the increase in capacity comes at the expense of recoil, barrel life, and $$$.
If you want the baddest 30 cal, take the 300 rum and add a wyatt's box extender. It will give you the option of running heavy bullets with good velocity.
If you want a practical and very effective game killer, the 300 wm.
If you want to be a little different, take a 30 nosler or 300 prc (I'd opt for the nosler due to better brass). Even the 300 wsm with a 180 accubond is a fantastic elk and moose killer.

Yes, I load my own ammo for the 300 wm. You could buy the abm 215 Berger ammo if you don't reload.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...15-grain-berger-match-hybrid-target-box-of-20
My rifle is a semi custom 700 + 26" barrel. I'm not limited with COAL anymore due to the wyatt's box extender. But factory remingtons are 3.6". Many dbm are shorter than this.

I'd take a 30 nosler over the 300 prc, if you add some extra freebore to the nosler.
In general, the 30 cal mags all have enough KO power to cleanly kill large game. IMO the case only holds powder and a bullet. The more powder capacity, the more potential to push bullets faster. The 300 rum has the most potential from a common chamber perspective.
But the application matters because at 500 yards no animal will know the difference between the 30-378 weatherby and a 300 wsm. And there's no free lunch, so the increase in capacity comes at the expense of recoil, barrel life, and $$$.
If you want the baddest 30 cal, take the 300 rum and add a wyatt's box extender. It will give you the option of running heavy bullets with good velocity.
If you want a practical and very effective game killer, the 300 wm.
If you want to be a little different, take a 30 nosler or 300 prc (I'd opt for the nosler due to better brass). Even the 300 wsm with a 180 accubond is a fantastic elk and moose killer.

If I buy one of the brand rifles I mentioned earlier, how would I add extra free bore? Or do I need to do a custom build?
I'm pretty new to all this. I ve only been shooting and hunting for about 18 months but I am reloading. I live in Florida so this firepower is over kill for down here. This would be a once a year hunting trip if things go well so I'm trying not to over complicate things. I don't expect to take a shot over 500 yds but on the other hand I d hate to limit myself. One thing I m certain of is that 300 win or WSM or prc is about as much recoil as I'm interested in "enjoying".

If I buy one of the brand rifles I mentioned earlier, how would I add extra free bore? Or do I need to do a custom build?
I'm pretty new to all this. I ve only been shooting and hunting for about 18 months but I am reloading. I live in Florida so this firepower is over kill for down here. This would be a once a year hunting trip if things go well so I'm trying not to over complicate things. I don't expect to take a shot over 500 yds but on the other hand I d hate to limit myself. One thing I m certain of is that 300 win or WSM or prc is about as much recoil as I'm interested in "enjoying".

The 300 wm has enough energy to kill an elk or moose out to about 1000 yards. It all comes down to your ability to make the shot.
Do you need a custom gun? No, but custom guns are often more accurate than an off the shelf gun.
You can have a gunsmith add freebore if it's needed.
Here's just suggestion. Buy a 700 sendero or 5r model in 300 wm. Have the barrel threaded and add a muzzle brake. Shoot it and set how accurate it is. Learn to load for the 300 wm. I'd recommend getting forster dies(bump neck + seating die), adg brass, h1000 powder, 210 or 215 Berger bullets, and federal 215m primers.
Side note: the hornady comparator and headspace sets are vital in determining lands(coal) and setting your shoulder bump.
I'm in Michigan, otherwise I'd meet up with you and get you started in the right direction.
You can also shoot hammer bullets to reduce some recoil and still get great results.

Last edited:
The 300 wm has enough energy to kill an elk or moose out to about 1000 yards. It all comes down to your ability to make the shot.
Do you need a custom gun? No, but custom guns are often more accurate than an off the shelf gun.
You can have a gunsmith add freebore if it's needed.
Here's just suggestion. Buy a 700 sendero or 5r model in 300 wm. Have the barrel threaded and add a muzzle brake. Shoot it and set how accurate it is. Learn to load for the 300 wm. I'd recommend getting forster dies(bump neck + seating die), adg brass, h1000 powder, 210 or 215 Berger bullets, and federal 215m primers.
Side note: the hornady comparator and headspace sets are vital in determining lands(coal) and setting your shoulder bump.
I'm in Michigan, otherwise I'd meet up with you and get you started in the right direction.
You can also shoot hammer bullets to reduce some recoil and still get great results.

My wife is from Michigan. So many good people from the Midwest. Thanks so much for taking the time to educate me.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.