barrel length question

308jagermeister

I'm looking at a used 7mm stw for sale with 24" barrel. Most others I've looked at have 26" or longer, big difference in performance or does it depend on twist?

ahhh one of my favorite rants. The tech guys all say the poweder is burnt by the end of 20" so whats purpose of longer barrel ever. My disagreement is the reverse... if you buy a WhizBang Magnum calibre rifle whats the point of it if you DON'T have a 26" barrel??? Mfr's continue to pump out rifles in mag cals with 22 and 24" bbls and my question is '***?' . I know their marketing fools tell them it saves 10.00 on the retail price (that no one EVER pays) but to me it hampers performance. So my Model 70 7mm Rem Mag has a 26" barrel, so did the 2nd rifle I ever bought(thru the mail) way back in 1965( a LH 264 Win Mag). This dinosaur always recommends 26" with mag cals and 24" with non mag cals. Over.

ahhh one of my favorite rants. The tech guys all say the poweder is burnt by the end of 20" so whats purpose of longer barrel ever. My disagreement is the reverse... if you buy a WhizBang Magnum calibre rifle whats the point of it if you DON'T have a 26" barrel??? Mfr's continue to pump out rifles in mag cals with 22 and 24" bbls and my question is '***?' . I know their marketing fools tell them it saves 10.00 on the retail price (that no one EVER pays) but to me it hampers performance. So my Model 70 7mm Rem Mag has a 26" barrel, so did the 2nd rifle I ever bought(thru the mail) way back in 1965( a LH 264 Win Mag). This dinosaur always recommends 26" with mag cals and 24" with non mag cals. Over.

Thanks for a real world reply..

Barrel length has a direct effect to MV for sure.
Accuracy is not going to be effected by a shorter length.
Factory or custom barrel?
You will have approximately 60 fps difference between the 24 and 26 inch barrel lengths.
Will the animal notice the difference? doubtful

Barrel length has a direct effect to MV for sure.
Accuracy is not going to be effected by a shorter length.
Factory or custom barrel?
You will have approximately 60 fps difference between the 24 and 26 inch barrel lengths.
Will the animal notice the difference? doubtful

That being said buying a stw with 24" barrel kind of defeats the purpose?

If you want the most horsepower possible from that cartridge, yes.

If you want the most, then you may want a longer barrel than 26".

It all comes down to the performance level you are looking for and what is going to be practical for you for your type of hunting and or shooting..

I have 17" 7mm Rem Mag Improved and a 7mm Dakota (twin to the STW) that is just a smidget under 18". Of course, mine are in single-shot specialty handguns.

That being said buying a stw with 24" barrel kind of defeats the purpose?

If you want the most horsepower possible from that cartridge, yes.

If you want the most, then you may want a longer barrel than 26".

It all comes down to the performance level you are looking for and what is going to be practical for you for your type of hunting and or shooting..

I have 17" 7mm Rem Mag Improved and a 7mm Dakota (twin to the STW) that is just a smidget under 18". Of course, mine are in single-shot specialty handguns.

Thanks Ernie, think I will find one with at least 26"

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.