Barrel Damage?

Another vote for an aggressive attempt at cleaning the barrel. As others said, maybe with electric drill. I would be inclined to believe this happened after leaving the factory, but anything is possible.

what does that mean always a flier? Are you saying the gun doesn't shoot well? it's like the owner of the ranch where I shoot saying my rifle "shoots". No **** it shoots. But to him this means it's consistently accurate.
"It shoots" is a pretty common way to say it's accurate. always a flier indicates that when ever he shoots a group one is always outside the group... always a flier.

Last edited:
Any bullet passing through the bore after these grooves were made would have knocked down the burrs which are standing up. Which leads me to believe that this was done during or actually after cleaning. Those are tooling marks from something someone shoved down the tube. Firing would have only smoothed out some of that.
This is the best explanation ive seen posted. I had exact same thoughts as soon as i seen it.
shep

Not a barrel manufacturing expert, but past experience with stainless steel has taught me that stainless is highly prone to galling during any kind of machining operation. Looks like galling to me.... I could be mistaken, just my $0.02

That's not entirely true, I have tested bad bores before just to see what kind of burr on the crown can withstand, you'd be surprised how small a steel burr is un-affected by copper passing over it.

Last edited:
If it in front of the chamber that is about where all the carbon builds up real thick when not cleaned enough. Could be damage from someone cleaning that area improperly. But those very thin sharp edges would burn away after less than 20 shots. Personally if the barrel shoots good after doing all the normal accuracy improvements to the rifle id just leave it be. If the gun is stock with no accuracy mods like glass bedding and free floating and bedding the base and checking the crown and new firing pin spring and the such then occasional fliers are going to happen. Sometimes doing all the accuracy mods wont make the gun much more accurate but can make it much more consistent by eliminating fliers or stock induced vertical from humidity. Id rather have a rifle that shoots 1 inch but hits where i aim all the time than one that shoots small but is always moving zero all over the place. Sometimes fliers are hard to eliminate. Just about anything can cause them. Primers, powder, powder charge, cases and bullets can all cause fliers. Then there is the rifle still and the consistency of the shooter. Good luck getting this sorted out. Ive seen way worse than this in barrels that shot great. I had a barrel that was so bad inside with flaws i was going to send it back but was in a pinch and couldn't wait for another to come in. That barrel got 2nd place at the world open 1000 yard a few yrs back. It shot competitive for 1800 rounds of 6slr before i retired it to a varmint gun. Its a 6 bra now with 3500 total rounds on it and it still shoots in the 3s. And i was going to send it back because it had at least 25 flaws in it that are bad. So if it still shoots just keep shooting it.
Shep

Call the mfg. Send it back for evaluation. Springfield rebarrelled my buddy's M1A for a bad chamber; you might get the barrel replaced for free if you don't mess with it... Might be something as simple as a button chattering during rifling..

That's not entirely true, I have tested bad bores before just to see what kind of burr on the crown can withstand, you'd be surprised how small a steel burr is un-affected by brass passing over it.
The crown area doesn't typically have the same heat element as near the chamber. Look at a fresh reamed throat on a barrel before and after break in. Huge difference. So yes a slight burr on the crown may not erode very fast either with copper or brass bullets. Cant say ive ever shot a brass bullet ever in my life. But i dont hunt things that can eat me either.
shep

The crown area doesn't typically have the same heat element as near the chamber. Look at a fresh reamed throat on a barrel before and after break in. Huge difference. So yes a slight burr on the crown may not erode very fast either with copper or brass bullets. Cant say ive ever shot a brass bullet ever in my life. But i dont hunt things that can eat me either.
shep
lol copper

The distance from the bore is about the same as the spud on a Bushnell bore sight attachment I Don't use mine any more for fear of doing what I see on this bore if you put the wrong cal spud in you could do this this may or may not be the issue but if this rifle is bore sighted this way it very well could be the culprit

3" down from the muzzle or from the chamber?
1. OP still needs to respond as to which end of the barrel (at least I have not seen a response...did I miss it?)
2. If it is the muzzle end, I have a problem with the thought a bore sight stud caused the damage shown. My Simmons studs all are polished chrome steel with a brass "spring" retainer. I am not sure about the construction of an adjustable stud but I suspect the 'spring' retainers are brass also. Sliding them in and out or rotating them would NOT make a gouge in the lands and groves like those in the pics the OP posted.
3. See point 1.