Cutting edge bullets barrel rifling damage???

Thanks LTLR! I also use CCI 250 primers. The method I used to determine my overall length was the frankford arsenal overall length gauge where you measure from muzzle to bolt face with a cleaning rod then remove the bolt and insert a bullet and push it with a wooden dowel up into the chamber until it contacts the lands and stops then remeasure. Would that be contacting the seal tight band or the secant ogive of the bullet contacting the lands of the rifling? Thanks LTLR.

That is the seal tight band making contact with the front of the chamber. It stops the bullet travel and prevents you from getting to the lands. I have coated bullets with mica and put them in the chamber to check lands contact and can not get one to the lands unless I shave off the seal tight band. I back off .025 on average from the seal tight band contact to get good groups. The guys at CE I am sure have other options. I have only been shooting these a year but learning fast since I shoot quite a bit. Augustus gets some good groups with the CE bullets but I don't know what his method is. Last week it was incredible some of the groups I was shooting.

I have a 338-378 wby that likes the seal tight band way down in the case for best accuracy. Right where the boat tail starts to taper even with the beginning of the case neck. That is the load I made a 1130 yard kill with last year and several 700-900 yard kills by me and my buddies.

Outlaw, How far are you off the lands with your special cut throat? These bullets like a jump into the lands from what I have seen. I am getting some very good groups out of my wby freebore rifles they like so much jump. The seal tight band is where I get my contact at the end of the chamber. That is where I measure the .02-.03. I do not know how far I am off the lands.

I too am getting contact on the band from what I see, there are no land marks on the bullet no matter how long I seat them. I'm still playing with this setup but, it looks as though it's set to jump ~ .020 with the band set flush with the case mouth. Thanks for the info, in case my initial testing falls short, i'll know where to go to next.

What is the freebore they recommend with that bullet?

Edd, the reamer freebore was set to either .130 or .140, I can't quite remember which (my reamer print is at the office). I will confirm tomorrow.

Thanks LTLR! Hey what are you trimming your .338 win cases to? Are you trimming before resizing or after? I'm full length resizing is why I'm asking.

All might be interested in this as Chad has his own way of dialect :D, pasted below is the email from Chad to David Kiff of PTG fame:

David,

Tyler is a client of ours interested in a new build. Cartridge is going to be a 6.5 WSM.

Particulars:

He's using a relatively new bullet made by Cutting Edge ( http://site.cuttingedgebullets.com/ ) Were looking at the 130 grain Match/Tactical/Hunting bullet. Were going to need a new reamer for this.
Action is a Stiller LoneStar short action. Not sure what Jerry is using for a magazine box length on these. If its an issue, throat accordingly. If there's plenty of room, please see below in the details.

Reamer specs:

HSS
Throat set to allow the boat tail/bearing intersection of the bullet to seat at the Neck/shoulder junction of the case.
No turn neck. Going with Norma 270 WSM brass. Not sure what the neck wall thickness is. I'm not a huge fan of super tight necks. Just enough to let go but not so much to stretch the cases out like the home coming queen after the big game.

Case body dimensions can be SAAMI on the dot. This is a field gun. She needs to run well.

So, I leave it to your wizardry to determine throat length etc.

t

Hi derek. Yes he may be. He did say something about dangerous game shooters practice with non copper solid bullets and only shoot copper solids at an animal cuz they ruin the barrel. May been what he was referring to. And longtimelongranger I'm shooting the D62's in my Remington 700 Sendero action .338 Win mag. 26" barrel 1-10" twist. 3.656" max overall length touching lands. The starting load data is much appreciated.

To the O.P.'s original post; I believe he's referring to steel jacketed solids. That's a bunch of hooey too though, as I've got 100 of the hornady steel jacketed solids and about 200 of the 300 tsx's through my 375 h@h and the bore is perfect. Sub moa groups out of 8# 375h@h with perfect lands/grooves.

Hey guys. A whole back LRH member longtimelongranger turned me onto cutting edge bullets D62 bullet. I ordered some and am waiting to load them until my gunsmith gets finished fitting my new PT&G fluted bolt to my Sendero action and rereams it to the proper depth for proper headspace so I can measure the overall length to figure out where to start off seating my bullets. Anyway the gunsmith I deal with has been gunsmithing for forty years and the shop owner had been in the industry for fifty years and he told me that monolithic solids like the cutting edge bullets would eat the rifling right out of my barrel! He said he has rarely seen a barrel shoot more than a hundred rounds of monolithic solid copper bullets that wasn't shot out! He said with mine being a factory barrel I could keep shooting conventional bullets, I.e. nosler, Berger for years before rebarreling or I could shoot about fifty or so copper monolithics through it and need a new barrel. Surely this isn't do?! They look like precision high quality projectiles! Is this just old wisdom from back in his day since he's so old and reluctant to change or is this true? After all his work and blue printing and trying my action I don't want to throw all that money away in fifty trigger pulls!!! Thanks guys and have a great day.

My best guess is that he is talking about bronze solids. they are much harder that copper or
gilding metal bullets and are normally used for dangerous game.

They are known to be tough on barrels, but how many shots it takes to wash out a barrel is
not known because most of the rifles for dangerous game are not shot that much and at long
enough distances to tell when accuracy falls off.

I to would like to see proof of this Also.

J E CUSTOM

Not sure. I am also shooting some solid brass solids made by BoreTech. It's their V3 match bullet if anyone knows what I'm talking about. They appear in finish to be solid brass same as the cases are. Same color and I know they are brass just don't know if they are pure or alloy. They should be safe to shoot as well shouldn't they? They have a 0.860 BC I believe. Way higher than anything else I have found out there.

Not sure. I am also shooting some solid brass solids made by BoreTech. It's their V3 match bullet if anyone knows what I'm talking about. They appear in finish to be solid brass same as the cases are. Same color and I know they are brass just don't know if they are pure or alloy. They should be safe to shoot as well shouldn't they? They have a 0.860 BC I believe. Way higher than anything else I have found out there.

Most brass bullets are of the bore rider design (Banded)to minimize the bearing surface (Reducing
barrel ware).

The new designed bullets are also used for long range target shooting because of there BCs.

Lighter weight for the same physical shape increases the ballistic coefficient.

Are They safe to shoot? Yes. It is just a question of how they effect barrel life.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.