Barrel damage????

Blaser7

I have a friend who accidently shot a 7mm rem mag bullet through his 338wm... After noticing just about no recoil he realisedwhat he'd done...we looked through barrel after the shot and it was dirty looked like heaps of un burned powder...we then gave it a good clean and it looked pretty good... We shot 3 shot through it and it seems ok...
Has anyone experienced anything like this??? Do you think he has caused any damage to the barrel...????

About 15 yrs ago had a friend do same thing at range. He is still shooting rifle currently.The range had a rule,1 rifle atbench at a time for a reason.

Thanka....It seems to be ok he's just paranoid...
same rule at range we were shooting he just grabbed the wrong ammo box... Same colour box and same projectiles...

No damage at all. Many years back, I shot a 7mm TCU (223 Rem necked up to 7mm) for Silhouette pistol competition. Standard method of fireforming cases was to simply chamber a 223 Rem cartridge, pull the trigger, and extract a perfectly formed 7mm TCU case. Amazed me to no end, but it fireforms perfectly, no problem for the gun or cases. Incidentally, this was one of the best ways not to lose cases in forming TCU brass. Expanding them with a mandrel would split a very high percentage of them unless you annealed beforehand.

Don't worry, he didn't hurt a thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.