Cutting edge bullets barrel rifling damage???

Thanks JE! My rig is at the smith right now while he's got it I think I may go ahead and rebarrel with a lilja 3 groove at 27" with 1-9 twist. Now would be the best time.

Not sure. I am also shooting some solid brass solids made by BoreTech. It's their V3 match bullet if anyone knows what I'm talking about. They appear in finish to be solid brass same as the cases are. Same color and I know they are brass just don't know if they are pure or alloy. They should be safe to shoot as well shouldn't they? They have a 0.860 BC I believe. Way higher than anything else I have found out there.

I hate to break it to you but brass is an alloy.....

Brass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BrassCached - Similar
Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc; the proportions of zinc and copper can be varied to create a range of brasses with varying properties.

Thanks JE! My rig is at the smith right now while he's got it I think I may go ahead and rebarrel with a lilja 3 groove at 27" with 1-9 twist. Now would be the best time.

I have had very good luck with the 3 groove Lilja barrels and feel that it would be a good choice.

J E CUSTOM

Hey JE. I called and talked to mr. Lilja himself Friday and he informed me that they only go up to .30 caliber in 3 groove. The .338 barrel is conventional six groove. I'm looking at around $460 minus S&H for a fluted Lila barrel that will finish at 27" with a 1-9" twist. I called my gunsmith and he said he had never used lilja. He recommended shilen or hart. I called shilen and I'm looking at around $340 minus S&H for a barrel that will finish at 28" with 1-8" twist. That is all they offer in .338 caliber other than 1-10" twist. They also don't offer fluting and if I have it fluted it voids the warranty. They say it weakens the barrel. There is a 12 week lead time with lilja and a 3-4 week lead time with shilen. Also the shilen I can get in a 4 groove or 6 groove. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciates as I only want to do this one time. Thanks guys.

How will Cutting Edge Bullets affect my rifle barrel?
A common question that we receive from time to time is "How will the materials used by Cutting Edge Bullets affect the barrel of my rifle?" That is a very valid question.

The materials that we use to manufacture our bullets have a very high "machinability rating," which in turn are much less abrasive than the materials used by many other bullet manufacturers.

Machinability:
The term machinability refers to the ease with which a metal can be machined to an acceptable surface finish. Materials with good machinability require little power to cut, can be cut quickly, easily obtain a good finish, and do not wear the tooling much; such materials are said to be free machining.[1]

The bottom line is that the higher the machinability rating, the less wear and strain your barrel will incur.

See how the machinability of materials used by Cutting Edge Bullets compares to others: Machinability Rating Comparison Chart

http://site.cuttingedgebullets.com/pdf/Machinability.pdf

I have shot monolithic copper bullets for many years with good results from all. This year I ordered some CE's and in my particular 300wm they shoot tighter groups than all the others I have tried. Unfortunately I haven't shot any game with them but hopefully that Will be rectified soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.