Barrel contours

canderson

I have noticed that the local gunsmith seems to use only straight tapered barrels. Is a straight tapered barrel more accurate than a contoured one? I can see where fluting would be easier on a straight taper. It have not done to research, but it looks like the straight taper is a heavier barrel. Any thoughts or comments are welcome. Just curious.

Thanks,
Chris

As far as more accurate I would say no but they do tend to weigh more. I just like the way they look with and with out flutes.

Straight tapered barrels tend to be more rigid than contoured barrels.

The main advantage to contoured barrels is that you can get them in a sporter weight
stock without removing to much stock.Also they allow the use of lower scope mounts
because of objective scope bell clearance.

J E CUSTOM

I just went with a Shilen 28" #8 "Heavy Bull Barrel" barrel .Welcome to Shilen Rifles, Inc. This is for a F-class TR .308 build. I wanted the weight for that reason. My smith builds Featherweight
rifles in 300wsm, muzzle brake...... I mean Featherweight. For what is worth.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.