contouring a barrel

I have some aftermarket barrels that are not lapped. The don't shoot quit as well as those that I have that are hand lapped. Anyone with a bore scope can see the difference. The inside of those that aren't lapped are rough and have many places to collect fouling even after 200-300 rds. They took much more load development, too. On a couple, thats where the 300rds came from. I can expect sub 1" groups for 5 or 6 shots, at the most, from those that are not lapped. After that accuracy, degrades terribly. Those barrels that are lapped hold their accuracy for much longer between cleanings. I can shoot a 60rd. LR Sporting Rifle match, without stopping to clean during the match, with those that are lapped. Besides, there may not be time enough to clean during a match. As for contouring, there's huge difference between countouring from straight blank to a Palma contour and contouring to even a heavy sporter contour.

Here's alittle clarification from a manufacturers stand point: We will not recommend or warrant a barrel that has been re-contoured, it's not a good idea as you can alter the ring tension and have negative effects on the accuracy of the barrel. That is the reason we lap the contoured blank to a final dimension after machining. This is our policy and I'm not speaking for any other manufacturers here.
Happy hunting!
Chris
Benchmark barrels

Most good barrels are stress relieved/Heat treated. Some are double stress relieved/heat treated, because of there manufacturing process. It is always best to leave them as manufactured.

When you re-contour or flute a finished barrel you risk changing it and effecting its accuracy. Many manufactures will void there warranty if these things are done to a finished barrel.

I recommend buying a barrel just the way you want it, and not changing it. The cost of re-contouring or fluting and the risk of ruining a good barrel are just not worth it. A new barrel is, in my opinion a better choice.

J E CUSTOM

I agree that fluting and re-contouring a barrel after it comes from the manufacturer may affect accuracy. If I were a barrel manufacturer, I would also not offer a warranty if any of those actions were done after it left my shop.
So my advise to the OP, is to order a barrel to your exact specifications..

Barrels to me are expendable. I have a pile on hand, and always more on the way.

That being said, I'll share with you what I did to a barrel of mine that has turned out to be the best shooting barrel that I ever had...
Cut rifled, straight contour, chambered, and fired for about 100 rounds. Accuracy was acceptable, but nothing to get excited about.
Re-contoured it, cut the threads off, re-chambered it, and fluted it.
Load development at 300 and 750 yards showed some serious capabilities, and further shooting on paper at extended long range produced mind blowing groups.
I was left to conclude that the operations imparted on this particular barrel no doubt changed the accuracy. Surprisingly for the better.

[QUOTE
That being said, I'll share with you what I did to a barrel of mine that has turned out to be the best shooting barrel that I ever had...
Cut rifled, straight contour, chambered, and fired for about 100 rounds. Accuracy was acceptable, but nothing to get excited about.
Re-contoured it, cut the threads off, re-chambered it, and fluted it.
Load development at 300 and 750 yards showed some serious capabilities, and further shooting on paper at extended long range produced mind blowing groups.
I was left to conclude that the operations imparted on this particular barrel no doubt changed the accuracy. Surprisingly for the better.[/QUOTE]

After much thought I will be going with the recontouring path. I have already found a gunsmith who agreed to do it (one of the posters on this thread), and I understand that it might ruin the barrel. If it won't shoot after the process I will just give some business to a barrel manufacturer (Benchmark).
Thank you everyone for your honest opinions and help.

Here's alittle clarification from a manufacturers stand point: We will not recommend or warrant a barrel that has been re-contoured, it's not a good idea as you can alter the ring tension and have negative effects on the accuracy of the barrel. That is the reason we lap the contoured blank to a final dimension after machining. This is our policy and I'm not speaking for any other manufacturers here.
Happy hunting!
Chris
Benchmark barrels

Hi
Thank you for the clarification.

Brit.

Just a side note:

Even though I recommend a barrel change, I have seen barrels that would not shoot very well
and with little to lose (The barrels were mine)I cut the tenon off and re threaded and re-chambered (Factory barrels) and they shot much better. I have also re-contoured barrels that had excessive run out, and they did better because the wall thickness was uniform and did not start changing POI as they heated up
None of these barrels were 1/4 MOA after the mods to them so did I hurt them ? No. It just made them better than they were.

So some times re-contouring may help the accuracy but it can do other negative things and the chance of getting a laser are very slim for many of the reasons mentioned and after all of the expense of having it done you could end up with a stinker and that money is gone.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.