Contouring a muzzle brake

tunacan

I have a quick question. I am in the process of building a 338 Edge. The barrel that I have on order is a Brux Rem Varmint contour. The end diameter is .830.

I was looking at the RWS Muzzle brakes. He offers a .81XX diameter brake and also a 1"

He recommended to get the 1" and taper the rear of the brake to match the contour of the barrel.

I like the flush look of the brake and barrel being the same diamater.

Is there any disadvantage to turning down the entire brake to match the contour of the barrel vs. tapering the back of the brake to match the contour.

He said that he doesn't recommend it and I cant understand why.

Someone please enlighten me

Thanks

3PORTBRAKE.jpg

OK..This is what I don't understand. If My barrel was .81xx I could run the far left (in the picture) brake straight without tapering.

Why couldn't I countour the 1" brake to match the .830" of my muzzle?

The main reason that you don't want to reduce the diameter is that the ports are large and
if you cut down the outside it will thin the material above the ports and weaken them to the
point that they will/can stretch after firing.

It is common among ported brakes that they are not designed to be turned.

If you want this type of brake, find one that is .020 or .030 thousandths larger than your barrel.

There are other brakes that can be turned to match your barrel but they are the ones with round holes drilled in them and some turning is OK.

These brakes are not quite as effective but they reduce recoil by 30 to 40% and do look good
when turned to match the barrel.

If you are interested in one of these brakes, talk to Ron Bartlett @ Vias brakes and he will build anything you want.

J E CUSTOM

I've turned the RWS brakes down to match barrel along with Muscle Brakes, CSR brakes, DE Brakes and many more. I won't take the wall thickness between the port and outside wall of brake less than .100" thick. Here's a Muscle Brake I just turned down to its min.

moz-screenshot-2.png
dakota12.jpg

dakota7.jpg

...I was looking at the RWS Muzzle brakes. He offers a .81XX diameter brake and also a 1"...
3PORTBRAKE.jpg

Help me out here...

The brakes in this photo look like a copy of the "Holland Quick Discharge Muzzle Brake" without the refined muzzle end.

Is RWS marketing Holland's muzzle brakes or is there actually a difference here?

Dimensionally they are significantly different. Functionally they work as good as any baffled brake with rearward angled side ports, blank on the bottom and have ports on top to control muzzle rise. They offer choice of thread and contoured to your barrel profile at no extra charge. They are a great value.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.