Barrel chambered with wrong shoulder anfle

Kind of like starving to death in a steak restaurant.
Call smith, email pics and make a plan.
I talked to him last nite, he said he has chambered a few barrels with that reamer with no complaints.

I told him my issue with the shoulder, sent pics by email and phone and sent in several pieces of brass, fired and sized. He is going to look at the brass.
This is the first time I have used this guy, he is not a new gunsmith.

I had big plans in the future with him because he stocks and installs a lot of high end cut rifled barrels.

Yeah, quite a disappointment. Very correctable. You'll lose 1/4" of barrel - and mostly time. Maybe the folks will expedite the corrective measures. Hope so!;)

Maybe ask that the next chamber reamer comes from a different source...:eek:

Well, I'm no expert but your brass shouldn't go in look'in one way and come out of the gun looking another. Unless there's something wrong with the guy, he'll want to get to the bottom of it as much as you.

Kind of like starving to death in a steak restaurant.

I talked to him last nite, he said he has chambered a few barrels with that reamer with no complaints.

I told him my issue with the shoulder, sent pics by email and phone and sent in several pieces of brass, fired and sized. He is going to look at the brass.
This is the first time I have used this guy, he is not a new gunsmith.

I had big plans in the future with him because he stocks and installs a lot of high end cut rifled barrels.

Just some advice.
Go to another gunsmith and get a second opinion or just buy a Manson or JGS reamer of your own and have another smith re chamber it for you.

BUY a SAMME reamer and move on. PUT it behind you an call it done.

I would highly recommend another smith, because he did not seem worried, or want to make it right for what ever reason. I have seen many chambers that were not correct according to the barrel ID and even some that the "smith" (I use that term lightly) substituted reamers that were "Close enough".

FIX the chamber, Don't chase the problem with custom dies, loads and so forth.

Sorry for your troubles but s#!T happens.(Hopefully only once)

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Just an update if anyone cares,
Last week. I bought a Manson reamer and had my local smith cut a few threads and rechamber it. It shoots great and the brass looks is the way it should. 1519083950560670694089.jpg
1519083950560670694089.jpg

Tonight the original smith called he sent his PTG reamer to JSG to be ran through an optical comparator. They confirmed it was a 30° not 35° shoulder, as we all knew from the beginning.
He said he would give me a break on my next barrel.

I'm not sure. The only thing I can think of is that they only shot factory ammo. Or weren't very conscientious reloaders.
From the sound of it it had been years since he had chambered a 7wsm.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.