Barrel chambered with wrong shoulder anfle

Thanks for the update. That's a real bummer what you had to go through. Thanks for sharing your experience. This might help one of us in the future

-- Todd

When you receive a print from whom ever, it says"print for approval", when you approve it, it is on the one approving it. I have had to have a couple re-done or altered,from a few sources but no matter who I get my reamer from, I have mic's and angle finder out when it gets here and I go over the print before approval. if that reamer matches the approved print it is what it is. if it is different than the print, they will redo it. I have had it done.

by the way it does suck tho and I am glad you got it runnin :)

When you receive a print from whom ever, it says"print for approval", when you approve it, it is on the one approving it. I have had to have a couple re-done or altered,from a few sources but no matter who I get my reamer from, I have mic's and angle finder out when it gets here and I go over the print before approval. if that reamer matches the approved print it is what it is. if it is different than the print, they will redo it. I have had it done.

That is the way it should be done.

Dave Kiff could be the biggest crook in the gun industry, I know there is no longer any PTG tooling in my shop, PTG tooling is a clear sign a screwing is about to take place. I can't believe he hasn't been sued out of existence!!

To top it off, his customer relation skills suck worse than the tooling he markets. Can't control the I walk on water attitude. Exudes arrogance.
If he was 1/2 as good as he thinks, he'd be selling terrific products.

If he jumps into this Thread, I'll post a link to the Thread where he over the top blew his top on AccurateShooter. Made a disgrace of himself. All one ever needs to know about his character is exposed in that thread.

Reading this thread makes me glad I just ordered my Reamer and go and no go Gauges from Dave Manson.

To the OP glad you got it sorted out. Also Glad the smith got the reamer checked out and hopefully fixed.

Reading this thread makes me glad I just ordered my Reamer and go and no go Gauges from Dave Manson.

To the OP glad you got it sorted out. Also Glad the smith got the reamer checked out and hopefully fixed.
Yeah hopefully the original smith will start to replace his inventory witg JSG or Manson tooling.
I know he owes me one but I'm a little "gun shy" about using him again.

Yeah hopefully the original smith will start to replace his inventory witg JSG or Manson tooling.
I know he owes me one but I'm a little "gun shy" about using him again.

I hear you there and Understand where you are coming from. If he is willing to find out what caused the problem and then make it right. I would hope he will do his part next time.

Just more information on reamers.
If you ask for a SAMMI chamber reamer, that's exactly what you should get. it is hard to measure a reamer accurately so the best thing a smith can do is to check the chamber as soon as he gets started (Less than a 1/4 '' in to the barrel) at this point he will know how its cutting, how much the shoulder angle is, how much free bore it has, and the neck diameter before he renders the chamber useless. (This is the time to catch any problems and correct them)

Reputable reamer makers "Have to/must hold there reamers to SAMMI spects. this can be checked using the available SAMME reamer drawings. If you want anything other than SAMMI dimensions, it is considered a wildcat or an altered reamer and the reamer maker must submit a reamer drawing to the smith or owner for his approval before it can be cut. after the drawing is approved and sent back to the reamer maker, he is required to identify the changes "ON" the reamer, or the name of the wildcat cartridge that would tell the smith or the owner that It is "Not" SAMMI spec. Sometimes if the owner wants the chamber design to be proprietary, he names it and does not identify dimensional changes on the reamer. the reamer maker will normally not use this chamber drawing for any other customer without the approval of the owner.

If it is "Not" a SAMMI reamer, chances are that you will have to have a special set of dies made to accommodate the chamber and that can get expensive. the other way is to buy a sizing reamer from the same reamer maker along with the finish reamer, and build your own die set.

Some reamers can be recut if they are not sharp or slightly out of spec. but it's like asking a chevy mechanic to work on your ford, they normally don't like it , (who would ) but some will. I have had dave sharpen some PTG reamers and he did a great job and saved an otherwise useless reamer. some cant be used and it is best to just buy a new reamer.

A reputable smith or reamer maker should not take liberties with you chamber wants/needs and substitute something else for it. If I was ask to use a reamer with some dimensional change that could cause problems with safety, quality and/or loadability, I simply turned down the job or made recommendations to solve the problem. The person cutting the chamber has the final say and responsibility to give you what you want, or refuse the work. His tool quality is also his responsibility because of his ability to identify a potential problem and his responsibility for the final outcome of the weapon.

I once got a reply on a reamer problem (from a reamer maker that I no longer use) that the reamer was close to what I ask for and I could get dies for. When I said 'but i don't want this reamer spec'. they said send it back and they would give me credit minus a restocking fee.o_O This was the final straw and they no longer get any business Or referrals from me.(This is one that I had re sharpened to what I wanted).

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
JE Customs I agree :) and I mean no disrespect at all! and I know that you are talking about reamers in general, but that reamer would have been easy to check, the angle and neck length are both a mile off , the reamer may have a longer cut on the length tho . Could he have used a rsaum reamer and ran it to headspace the wsm

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.