Barrel chambered with wrong shoulder anfle

JE Customs I agree :) and I mean no disrespect at all! and I know that you are talking about reamers in general, but that reamer would have been easy to check, the angle and neck length are both a mile off , the reamer may have a longer cut on the length tho . Could he have used a rsaum reamer and ran it to headspace the wsm

No problem. No disrespect taken. It is just harder to measure the reamer than the chamber and I prefer measuring the chamber because it demonstrates what the reamer will actually do when cutting. (Just Me/my way)

If you take the measuring in steps, it will tell you lots about the reamer.When starting the chamber, as the neck is being cut it is easy to measure neck diameter and free bore. as the shoulder is being cut, the angle is easy to measure because you have a square shank end to measure off of. Then as you start the chamber body, you can measure the body to shoulder diameter. At the same time all this is happening, you can set the spindle speed to get the best cutting RPM.

It is just the way I like doing it (I'm anal about some stuff) even though there are many others that do things differently. It sounds like a pain to do it this way, but it doesn't take that long, and when complete it actually saves time if it prevents a problem later that is hard to resolve (Like a wrong dimension or a poor cutting reamer that doesn't cut true or burnishes the chamber making it difficult to get a true chamber.

J E CUSTOM

What's that saying? Easy she goes?

Proceed with care and caution seems to be good practice with new chamber reamers too.

First step; determine who manufactured the reamer. 2nd step, start over if PTG or ***.

No problem. No disrespect taken. It is just harder to measure the reamer than the chamber and I prefer measuring the chamber because it demonstrates what the reamer will actually do when cutting. (Just Me/my way)
J E CUSTOM

That is also What Dave Manson Recommends. Testing the reamer before completing the chamber. OR do a test chamber first to make sure the reamer is correct.

It would be sad to me for any reamer manufacturer if a smith used a different reamer (rsaum) to finish a chamber (wsm). I have both reamers and prints for 7 mm wsm and 7 mm rsaum and it looks like to me this smith may have used a rsaum reamer to do a wsm chamber. I may be way off but luckily this (my) post is a discussion and not a rifle :cool: and if I am wrong I will learn from it :)

Last edited:
It would be sad to me for any reamer manufacturer if a smith used a different reamer (rsaum) to finish a chamber (wsm). I have both reamers and prints for 7 mm wsm and 7 mm rsaum and it looks like to me this smith may have used a rsaum reamer to do a wsm chamber. I may be way off but luckily this (my) post is a discussion and not a rifle :cool: and if I am wrong I will learn from it :)

I have seen this before and although rare, it does happen. (I have repaired several rifles that the wrong reamer was used) especially with chambers that are almost alike. Some don't know the difference and some smiths apparently don't bother to double check the reamer ID.

What ever the cause, It is sad and there is no excuse. I have also repaired rough chambers that used the right reamers, but failed to measure the bore for the correct reamer pilot bushing (The bushing "Must" fit the bore to get the best results from a reamer).

Normally these kind of things happen when a smith is to busy and/or not organized.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.