Barnes LRX bullets email sent

ZSteinle

Sent this to barnes. We'll see how they respond.

very interested in the barnes LRX line of bullets. Being the first of its kind (an actual long range hunting bullet and not a target bullet marketed as a hunting bullet) i am mainly curious about the BC of the bullets, have you thought about marketing them with a G7 and G1 BC number? If so i think it would be great information to put right on the box. I understand that BC will be lower than some target bullets on the market and might hurt sales of this bullet but i think myself and many other hunters will be more than willing to give up a few inches at 500 yards for a bullet that will actually expand and not explode on impact. It might be a good idea to advertise the bullet and inform people that a difference in BC from say .620 G1 to .550 G1 in a 140gr. .264 cal bullet with a muzzle velocity of 3200FPS only equates to a little over an inch more drop at 600 yards. I have been using the 256gr. Tac-TX #33856 in my 338 edge and they shoot amazing, just as good as Berger bullets. The only reason why i am still shooting the berger bullets in it for long range shooting is simple the reason that they supply an accurate BC in both G1 and G7 numbers (on the box). Thats why i believe that if you get these bullets tested by yourself or maybe even an outside company at extended ranges through a wide velocity range and give true accurate BC numbers would increase your sales.

I once asked them about some 100 gr 6mm TTSX bullets. They told me if I would give them $12,000 for the dies and purchase at least 40,000 of the bullets at retail price, they would consider it.

It doesn't cost anything to ask, but I don't think they will do it & I think they are in overdrive to produce what they can now, so the incentive might be low.

I am interested in the 127LRX for my 264WM , it may take months for them to publish a BC for that bullet (it has before). If they rate it in the .490-.510 area or better, I will buy some and see if that is how they test out. My purpose for this rifle is not ultra long range & I am not thinking in terms of running with a 210-230 Berger in my 300WM. For this rifle I am looking at being good to go out to 700yds. or so for MD & Antelope, to shoot from point blank out to 350yds quickly with minimal holdover & yet the bullet to hold together with 3350-3400 fps muzzle vel. for those close shots at WT, Hogs and Bear that I may shoot up close here in AR.

It may fill that unique niche.

ZSteinle, I've watched some of your youtube videos including a couple of longrange pronghorn, one was killed with the 7-300 and the other with a 264 WM using the 140 VLD.

I'm curious if the Bergers are the bullets that are blowing up on impact that you are referring to in your post. You guys have more experience than I do and I'm a BIG BIG Barnes fan.

I've killed a handful of deer with the VLD in Kentucky but I'd rather not dive into the next 3 rifles I have in mind which incorporate Bergers as the go-to bullet.

You can PM me if you'd rather not answer on the forum.

SWEET VIDEO!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeeoJQO716I]Long Range Hunting in Wyoming - YouTube[/ame]

ZSteinle, I've watched some of your youtube videos including a couple of longrange pronghorn, one was killed with the 7-300 and the other with a 264 WM using the 140 VLD.

I'm curious if the Bergers are the bullets that are blowing up on impact that you are referring to in your post. You guys have more experience than I do and I'm a BIG BIG Barnes fan.

I've killed a handful of deer with the VLD in Kentucky but I'd rather not dive into the next 3 rifles I have in mind which incorporate Bergers as the go-to bullet.

You can PM me if you'd rather not answer on the forum.

SWEET VIDEO!!

Long Range Hunting in Wyoming - YouTube

actually in the video i quote saying a 140 VLD bullet simply referring to very low drag and not a specific brand. The 140 that was used was actually an amax. and i have mixed results with the amax that correlates directly to the distances i have made shots and the impact velocity. That antelope was at 825 and did pass through, i shot a deer a year before this video at 60 yards with the amax and hit a rip bone on the way in and only made it about 1-3" after impact. Its seems very hard for me to even deny that barnes bullets have an amazing reputation for being one of the most reliable expanding bullets on the market. I personally have never shot an animal with the berger vld but have seen people take animals with mixed results. Some were bang flop and others ran off a ways and then died showing little expansion in the vital cavity.

return email.

[FONT=&quot]Thanks for the suggestion. We now have Doppler radar, and are in the process of testing our bullets as well as others bullets for long range b.c values. On this bullet the G1 form factor fits better than the G7. For your knowledge: The full mach range b.c. (shot with Doppler radar) to 1000 yards is .593 (G1) and .304(G7). We are working on offering this information to our customers using this new equipment.

Nice to see they have a doppler now. maybe that is why they really dont have any bc posted for the newer bullets. And i am assuming the numbers posted at the end of the email is the 265 lrx[/FONT]

I was unaware that Hornady amax bullets were referred to a VLDs.

I only know of a few, including Berger, Matrix, Wildcat, JLK, and some others.

Nice reply to your email, glad to see a little cust service from Barnes again. I have use Barnes X on several safaris and taken more animals with .30 and .375 cal Barnes than any other bullet. Bottom line they work and they even look pretty when recovered. I shot one through a small tree all pedals came off and it penetrated the tree and a Kudu from 140 yards in a .375 H7H. I still have the bullet. I remember working in Utah and stopping in at the old plant and the rolled out the red carpet, service was great and I called more than once as a novice reloader, that was 15 years ago. As of my last call and from others reports, service has dropped dramatically and curtness has become the norm. This is a great company with great heritage that is catching up to the modern shooting trends, I sincerely hope the service follows suit.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.