Ballistics

Precision_Game_85

I'm new in the long range bit and I'm still collecting pieces of equipment, so this is all a bit new to me. I was wondering how many of you use a PDA based program versus just using dope charts on your rifle. I'm in the process of putting specs together to have a rifle built and I think I'll be using it everywhere from the desert to higher mountains and I just don't know if I want to make seperate dope charts. What do all of you do? dope charts or PDA based ballistics program. Point me in the right direction please! Thanks.

Jerry,

I'm with alaskasourdough. On a couple guns I use Axim30 PDA and a balistic program. On a couple others I use a drop-chart. The guns that I have graduated stadia lines in the scopes, I use a chart that tells me what yardage each line matches.

I use both. If time allows I'll use the software because it's much more accurate. I can load the data at that very moment...elevation, temp., humidity, wind, etc. If I need to take a quick shot, I go to the table on the stock. It's been computed with more general data but it'll still get me in the ballpark. If you're going to be going on a trip to another area/climate, then get on the net, check general weather conditions for that area, factor in elevation, etc., run the program and print out a new chart. Tape it to your rifle and your in business. You can download a free ballistic program from jackson rifles. Run it on your home PC, download it onto a PDA and you can print tables to put on the rifle or take with you in the field. why settle for only one when you can have both. Hope this helps get you started. Good Luck.

Good point!...I was considering dope as a back up and pda if I have time..Thanks a lot!...I think I'll be doing that.

Got a buddy who killed 4 coyotes this past year at 785, 650, 535 and 470 using his AR-10 243/87 V-Max combo. 3 were 1st-shots the last 1 we couldn't get a range for him and it took 3 shots to kill him.

He has the dope for his scope (6.5-20x VH reticle) taped to his rig, but he also uses an Ipod Touch with JBM Ballistic program downloaded onto it. Nice thing about this program is you can use different drag functions to really null out the trajectory at longer ranges. He has his std. trajectory downloaded then calls into the local airport for air density changes several times a day. Has worked great for him though 3 of these kills were with std. data using the reticle. I like to have some basic data in a Butler Creek scope cap cover so i don't have to get out of position to reference it. Just a glance up from shooting position suffices. You can also put more detailed data inside the Butler Creek Blizzard style objective cover (that cap comes apart) so it's also instantly availabe--

ocular--
IMG_0628.jpg

objective--
IMG_0630.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts